Raven...help Me To Help You

75 replies to this topic

#61 Hansh0tfirst

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:34 PM

View PostThomas Covenant, on 30 November 2012 - 06:37 PM, said:

How fast, including such bonuses as above, can the fastest mech go? Anything cross 150? 160?

Speed Tweak gives a ~8% boost to top speed, and I believe the fastest mech currently available (sans bonus) is either a Jenner or Cicada clocking in at just under 140kph. So technically 150kph *might* be possible, but anything significantly higher than that... not so much.

#62 Thomas Covenant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationOn an adventure.

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:03 PM

View PostHansh0tfirst, on 01 December 2012 - 03:34 PM, said:

Speed Tweak gives a ~8% boost to top speed, and I believe the fastest mech currently available (sans bonus) is either a Jenner or Cicada clocking in at just under 140kph. So technically 150kph *might* be possible, but anything significantly higher than that... not so much.

What Is The Fastest Mech

thanks btw

#63 SlimJim8519

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationHämeenlinna Finland

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:31 AM

I'm running now with two Ravens, one is the ECM equipped scout & support version and the other (which is still sitting on the drawing board) is going to be something different. More shooty that is.
I'm just thinking about slapping something more powerful than the standard set of 2xMedium Laser 2xSSRM2, but like strapping 2xAC/2 even if I'd manage to get those into the mech, it wouldn't be really viable build.... What to do? Get Large Laser? PPC?

#64 FrostCollar

• 1,454 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, US

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:46 AM

View PostSlimJim8519, on 02 December 2012 - 11:31 AM, said:

I'm running now with two Ravens, one is the ECM equipped scout & support version and the other (which is still sitting on the drawing board) is going to be something different. More shooty that is.
I'm just thinking about slapping something more powerful than the standard set of 2xMedium Laser 2xSSRM2, but like strapping 2xAC/2 even if I'd manage to get those into the mech, it wouldn't be really viable build.... What to do? Get Large Laser? PPC?

I've tried a 2 AC/2 Raven before, so I can speak about that at least.

You've got tremendous DPS if you can find a stationary target, but you have to make so many sacrifices to make the autocannons fit with enough ammo to be useful (at least 3 tons) that I didn't enjoy it.

I've found that build worked the best for me as a support mech. Once heavy enemy mechs are distracted with your allies, you can very effectively blow off components if they aren't moving very much. You can also shoot up stationary sniping Catapults pretty well.

However, you're nearly helpless against skilled light mechs, are not very capable of running off by yourself. Also, if you run out of ammo you're in a really bad situation. In addition, though the AC/2 has a very long range you will have to be a much better shot than I am to take advantage of that against moving targets at 900m while avoiding LRMs.

Probably the greatest weakness of the build is that you must remain exposed to enemy fire for long periods to take full advantage of the AC/2's high fire rate. This is why I feel AC/2s are better mounted on mechs with heavier armor.

It's an interesting build but I did not like it much myself.

#65 SlimJim8519

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:16 PM

View PostFrostCollar, on 02 December 2012 - 11:46 AM, said:

I've tried a 2 AC/2 Raven before, so I can speak about that at least.

You've got tremendous DPS if you can find a stationary target, but you have to make so many sacrifices to make the autocannons fit with enough ammo to be useful (at least 3 tons) that I didn't enjoy it.

I've found that build worked the best for me as a support mech. Once heavy enemy mechs are distracted with your allies, you can very effectively blow off components if they aren't moving very much. You can also shoot up stationary sniping Catapults pretty well...

It's an interesting build but I did not like it much myself.

Brings into my mind somekind of "wait in the cover and when heavies bash it, circle & strafe in and out" strategy...

#66 FrostCollar

• 1,454 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, US

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:31 PM

View PostSlimJim8519, on 02 December 2012 - 12:16 PM, said:

Brings into my mind somekind of "wait in the cover and when heavies bash it, circle & strafe in and out" strategy...

That does work, but due to the damage of the AC/2s I found it more effective if you hit first rather than waiting to be "bashed."

Pop out and unload on a specific component and then (hopefully) fall back or circle away before they can return fire. That's actually good advice for any light mech. If you can find someone with damaged components you can clean them up quickly. I gunned down a Yen Lo Wang head on with minimal damage with this build since someone had done the good turn of damaging his legs somewhat.

This does mean, of course, that ideally other mechs will contact the enemy first and put them on your radar so you can differentiate between that Atlas with a right torso begging to be blown off and the other Atlas with some SSRMs and no damage. So if you do run this build it's very important to remain with your team.

Also, I didn't mention this before, but AC/2s can run pretty hot. I had enough weight capacity with a XL195 to mount 2MLAS as well, but that configuration was hot enough to fry eggs on. I had to drop one of the lasers to make it usable.

Edited by FrostCollar, 02 December 2012 - 12:31 PM.

#67 Stingz

• 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:44 PM

View PostFrostCollar, on 02 December 2012 - 12:31 PM, said:

Also, I didn't mention this before, but AC/2s can run pretty hot. I had enough weight capacity with a XL195 to mount 2MLAS as well, but that configuration was hot enough to fry eggs on. I had to drop one of the lasers to make it usable.

AC/2 is 1 heat a shot, same as AC/5, but the AC/2 shoots much faster. Using a AC/5 instead might be better.

Edited by Stingz, 02 December 2012 - 01:45 PM.

#68 FrostCollar

• 1,454 posts
  • LocationEast Coast, US

Posted 02 December 2012 - 01:53 PM

View PostStingz, on 02 December 2012 - 01:44 PM, said:

AC/2 is 1 heat a shot, same as AC/5, but the AC/2 shoots much faster. Using a AC/5 instead might be better.

Yeah, that heat builds up pretty quickly if you start mixing other weapons into the mix too.

You can fit an AC/5 with two tons of ammo, a SSRM2 with one ton of ammo, and two medium lasers on a 4X with a 195XL. I used that build for a while and it's pretty decent against large targets that you can hit consistently with the AC/5. I had some good moments with it while I was still learning how to play the game and had to work with the Raven I bought. I certainly enjoyed that build more than the 2 AC/2.

Still, it doesn't hold a candle to the 3L with the XL295 I use currently. But if you like ballistics more than me you might like it.

#69 Agent 0range

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 120 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:04 AM

use the machine guns on the 4x as tracers in a light fight. lead with mgs red retical fire lasers. it works a treat

#70 SlimJim8519

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:50 AM

Fooled around with Raven RVN-4X equipped with AC2, 2xMedium Laser, 1xSSRM2. Not bad, armor's almost full and the thing can take lots of beating. But somehow I didn't get good feel with AC/2, so slapped AC/5 instead with same weaponry.

Bit less armor, but DAMN it's nice to score a heavy mech's arm off! Got much better touch too for the AC/5. I just have to watch the range better, sometimes I get carried away and shoot targets over 800m away :lol:)

Ofc I stored the ammo into the legs

Edited by SlimJim8519, 04 December 2012 - 09:52 AM.

#71 Artifex 28

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 186 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:03 PM

3L with XL295 and speed tweak is 146.8kph.

Someone claimed though that the movement speed is CAPPED to 140kph, even though HUD displays can show more than that?

Can anyone confirm this?

#72 malibu43

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:58 PM

I also just decided to try out an AC5 Raven. I tried the AC2 before, but like others said, I couldn't get enough rounds on target to make a difference.

I had a UAC5 laying around, so my 4X is now fitted with that plust 2 tons ammo and 2x MLAS. STD 195 engine for 90 kph. I haven't tried it yet. It might be fun. Maybe not so effective, but fun...

#73 Artifex 28

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 186 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:35 AM

View Postmalibu43, on 06 December 2012 - 09:58 PM, said:

I also just decided to try out an AC5 Raven. I tried the AC2 before, but like others said, I couldn't get enough rounds on target to make a difference.

I had a UAC5 laying around, so my 4X is now fitted with that plust 2 tons ammo and 2x MLAS. STD 195 engine for 90 kph. I haven't tried it yet. It might be fun. Maybe not so effective, but fun...

To play a slow Raven, you basically need long range weapons (large laser or anything that is effective 350m+). I still wouldn't play one. If you plan to shoot from afar, pick something heavier. The speed is why you play lights, no questions asked.

I am seeing great success with the precision cutter speed build of mine. :)

Currently running XL295 with Endo, FF, Double Heat sinks.
146.8kph with speed tweak
3x ML
2x SSRM + 2ton of ammo (75% free rearms is enough)
ECM

Money spent on game: 0€ (probably will at the point when I have ~15-20m credits for extra mech slots)
Time spent on game: Quite a bit. :D

Posted Image

Edited by Artifex 28, 07 December 2012 - 06:38 AM.

#74 Artifex 28

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 186 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:50 AM

View PostHansh0tfirst, on 01 December 2012 - 03:34 PM, said:

Speed Tweak is flat 10% increase. At least that's what it says on the pilot tree.

#75 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:52 AM

A Jenner with the biggest engine (300xl) and speed tweak clocks in at 149.3 kph.

#76 Artifex 28

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 186 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:00 PM

View Postmailin, on 07 December 2012 - 11:52 AM, said:

A Jenner with the biggest engine (300xl) and speed tweak clocks in at 149.3 kph.

Still does not confirm, if the actual speed is capped at 140kph, as someone claimed to me.
HUD shows higher speed, no question about that - but is it actually capping at 140kph?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users