How To: Create Your Own Art Using Pgi's Mechs

Art Misc

2251 replies to this topic

#2081 Volt

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 04:15 PM

View PostHeffay, on 15 August 2017 - 12:42 PM, said:

Just did the Cougar, and everything looked ok. What looked wrong when you did it?

hmm... when I extracted the pre-Aug.15 patch version the parts of the LBX autocannons were floating all over the place.

#2082 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 21 August 2017 - 05:54 PM

View PostVolt, on 21 August 2017 - 04:15 PM, said:

hmm... when I extracted the pre-Aug.15 patch version the parts of the LBX autocannons were floating all over the place.

Did you use Noesis or my cgf-converter program? Noesis has issues with exploded geometry like you're describing.

#2083 Sic

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 11:33 PM

Can't find any monitors textures. Where are they placed?

upd: I think I've found it. If anyone need it's in this folder:
\\MechWarrior Online\Game\GameData.pak\Libs\UI\HUD\

But if you know any other place, please let me know. I suggest it's not all of them here.

Edited by Sic, 24 August 2017 - 12:03 AM.

#2084 Volt

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 09:13 PM

View PostHeffay, on 21 August 2017 - 05:54 PM, said:

Did you use Noesis or my cgf-converter program? Noesis has issues with exploded geometry like you're describing.

ah that explains it. I used Noesis the first time then i tried your program and it worked like a charm Posted Image the Right Arm LBX was floating above the head but it was simple enough to solve, by aligning the object origins. Thanks!

Edited by Volt, 24 August 2017 - 09:13 PM.

#2085 Ace_of_Blades

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 September 2017 - 03:34 PM

Hey guys, I've got my mech imported but I'm stuck. I can't figure out how to use the normal map as a displace map to apply to the mesh. When I use the displace modifier, the geometry explodes. If I change the midlevel slider and the strength slider it doesn't appear to look anything like the normal map.

#2086 Volt

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 11:01 PM

View PostSaber of Eden, on 01 September 2017 - 03:34 PM, said:

Hey guys, I've got my mech imported but I'm stuck. I can't figure out how to use the normal map as a displace map to apply to the mesh. When I use the displace modifier, the geometry explodes. If I change the midlevel slider and the strength slider it doesn't appear to look anything like the normal map.

Are you using blender or 3ds max? if you're using max create a Normal Bump and then use the DDS image as the normal map.

Has anyone tried to extract the updated Gargoyle model? I am missing the CT Flamers, Lasers and PPC models. Can someone validate if it's just me or if it's the model? It wouldn't be so hard to build the model from the existing parts but I would just like to know if anyone else is having the same problem.

Edit: Also missing a part of the LA uAC2

Edited by Volt, 05 September 2017 - 11:16 PM.

#2087 Ace_of_Blades

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 07:40 AM

View PostVolt, on 05 September 2017 - 11:01 PM, said:

Are you using blender or 3ds max? if you're using max create a Normal Bump and then use the DDS image as the normal map.

Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. I use blender. I used the displace modifier and chose the dds as my texture, I subdivide the mesh so that it has the available vertices to create new geometry. It doesn't seem to want to work right. I expected that maybe the displace modifier wasn't mapping to the UV map or maybe the UV map was not included in the import, so I checked. The displace modifier is set to map to UV and the UV map did correctly import, this I can check both in that I can see the faces in the UV editor and the other DDS images including the normal map are correctly mapped and imported into the render, unfortunately I can't seem to get the normal to become part of the mesh using the displace modifier. This is really frustrating because everything else I've worked through with an ounce of challenge but for the life of me I can't figure out how to do it. I don't have 3ds max otherwise I'd use it for I'm much more familiar with it.

#2088 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 09 September 2017 - 01:12 PM

Sorry, just saw your PM and now I think I understand a bit better.

The Displace modifier is used to modify geometry. Since the models are the game models, there isn't enough geometry to use the Displace modifier effectively. It will move the vertices, but won't create new vertices to make it more detailed.

You need to add the normal map to the Materials, not add a modifier. I'm not sure how much you know about Blender materials, but after using Mech Importer if you click on the materials button you should see the node layout (assuming you have one of the windows open for it).

Let me know if this helps, or if you need more info.

#2089 Ace_of_Blades

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 01:06 PM

Right, I'm trying to modify the geometry so that I can 3D print my mech with the normal map's detail. Regarding not having enough detail in the model, I believe that's the purpose of subdividing the mesh. This is extremely frustrating because the mesh just explodes into a soup sandwich and for the life of me I can't figure out why.

#2090 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:44 AM

View PostSaber of Eden, on 20 September 2017 - 01:06 PM, said:

Right, I'm trying to modify the geometry so that I can 3D print my mech with the normal map's detail. Regarding not having enough detail in the model, I believe that's the purpose of subdividing the mesh. This is extremely frustrating because the mesh just explodes into a soup sandwich and for the life of me I can't figure out why.

I've never heard of being able to go from low poly to high poly by subdividing a bunch and then displacing the normals back onto the geometry. I guess that would be technically possible, but not sure the Displace modifier is meant to do that.

Is there a multiplication factor on the displace modifier? You might need to seriously reduce the factor so that it doesn't explode. Also, are you applying the subdivision modifier before applying the displace modifier? The order you have the modifiers also matters, and if you do it the wrong way it can have weird effects.

Here's the documentation on the Displace modifier:

https://docs.blender...m/displace.html

With the normal maps they have, I would guess you'd want to do a vector displacement and dial that strength way down. Also be sure you're using the right and set the UV map properly.

#2091 M-Lee

• PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationRussian Federation

Posted 19 October 2017 - 03:34 AM

Hello. I extract new mechs and see this error. What I do wrong ?

Posted Image

#2092 Silver Wind Jones

• PipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 64 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 03:25 PM

Please, someone I'm so sad I can't figure this out lol! I'm not "code savvy" so I can't get poweshell to work. I've extracted all .PAK files in a place I can find did all the things The the tutorial told me to do, have all the software, but I can't for the life of me figure this out... I need HELP PLEASE LOL! ������

Edited by Silver Wind Jones, 23 October 2017 - 03:26 PM.

#2093 Adalonus

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 11:01 AM

So can import all the mechs to blender correctly and do some basic stuff in blender, but can anyone do a tutorial on how to properly clean up the models for 3d printing, set them up as separate parts, maybe how to do basic joints? I can export a selection to stl in a single part or two, throw it in netfabb, and have it auto-repair until it calls it "good", but I would like to do it properly if possible.

I really would like to do some N-Scale mechs for my upcoming battletech game, but I am not nearly experienced enough in blender to pull this off with my current knowledge.

#2094 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 27 October 2017 - 07:37 PM

View PostSilver Wind Jones, on 23 October 2017 - 03:25 PM, said:

Please, someone I'm so sad I can't figure this out lol! I'm not "code savvy" so I can't get poweshell to work. I've extracted all .PAK files in a place I can find did all the things The the tutorial told me to do, have all the software, but I can't for the life of me figure this out... I need HELP PLEASE LOL! ������

I'll work on a new tutorial video this weekend to take advantage of the new converter and mech importer. It's WAY overdue. :(

#2095 The Flame

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 11:34 PM

Looking forward to it!

#2096 Nakamura Takeshi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 177 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 03 November 2017 - 03:27 PM

View PostHeffay, on 27 October 2017 - 07:37 PM, said:

I'll work on a new tutorial video this weekend to take advantage of the new converter and mech importer. It's WAY overdue. Posted Image

Please do Heffay I myself and many others appreciate your efforts on this project.

#2097 TheSkiDog

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 54 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:03 PM

So I did some work on an uber style shader for blender.

Try it out let me know what you think.

http://www.filehosti...p%20Final.blend

you can assign metallic, non metallic, luminescent, or a bypass for a shader material of your own, to each color channel

Some examples:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Edited by TheSkiDog, 07 November 2017 - 08:53 PM.

#2098 TheSkiDog

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 54 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 08:07 PM

View PostHeffay, on 27 October 2017 - 07:37 PM, said:

I'll work on a new tutorial video this weekend to take advantage of the new converter and mech importer. It's WAY overdue. Posted Image

I know I would greatly appreciate this.
Many thanks and regards.

#2099 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:56 AM

Alright, finished the first tutorial. It's for generic Cryengine assets. Will post a link when the youtube upload is done. Also working on a bulk converting tutorial, as well as a mech importer one.

Sorry for the delays on this. They take a lot of time to produce.

Edit: First video. Just basic conversion stuff. The mech conversion video still needs to be completed.

https://youtu.be/6WoA2ubTZ0k

Edited by Heffay, 14 November 2017 - 10:50 AM.

#2100 Seijin Dinger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 259 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationEdmonds, WA

Posted 16 November 2017 - 03:56 PM

Thanks for the video Heffay, part way through watching it while studying for a midterm

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users