160 replies to this topic

#41 KalebFenoir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 222 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:49 AM

View PostGumbyC2C, on 29 December 2012 - 08:17 AM, said:

cool topic. For old-school tabletop BT, I truly loved the Thunderbolt. I used to play in a lot of tournements and usually there was a 250 ton total team restriction. Pound for pound in 2025, nothing beats The big Thud. My team usually fielded two Thunderbolts, one Archer, and one P-Hawk. Dump the MG ammo and it can take a beating like no other 65 tonner and dish out plenty at any range. We had two pewter Thunderbolts painted white with bullseyes on them. Grab a nearby tree and go Louisville slugger on the first guy to get in your grill.

For tabletop though I really do like almost anything with torso weapons and hands. I love the physical attacks. Give me a tree or an arm or a leg and bad stuff will happen. At a tourney once I was driving an Archer and I got a leg blown off on the crit with the 12 roll. The next turn I stood up with the 11 roll and picked up my own leg. Then when they came in for the kill I popped them in the head with my own leg.

Reminds me of some of the stories one of my older cousins was telling me about his adventures in optional rules. Him and his friends figured out ways to include more physical-attack based attacks and optional gear, and the penalties to go along with, to make things interesting.

Things like:

1: FUSION BOMB: taking the stripped out engine of a 20 ton mech (anywhere from 2 to 4 tons, so within reason), having it rigged with a series of magnetic locking clamps or plates. I dunno how you'd figure out the damage from such a bomb, but I'm assuming it's either using a stock mech's internal damage capacity (like a Stinger or Wasp), and applying it to everything it hits, or considering it like a massive ammo explosion equal in tonnage to engine's weight. Give it a splash of a full hex in any direction, and you got a nice blast. My cousin told me he had rigged his with a remote detonator, but that his friend preferred shooting the engine from a distance. Any hit to the location the engine was clamped to caused it to go off. (the engine was stripped of shielding in their rules, so it couldn't take more than one hit).

2: Self-Contained Weapons pods: I dunno if you wanna think of this one too hard. Basically it's just a pick-up, use, drop-off gun, complete with its own dissipation sinks. That'd mean it'd be bloody heavy if it was something like a Gauss or an AC-20, or even a PPC. You'd have to figure out the modifiers yourself, but the idea is that the gun isn't considered part of your heat stack because it's seperate. You just pick it up, and fire it for a couple of rounds (say, 1 ton of ammo or half a ton of ammo with each gun), and then drop it when it became useless. I like the idea, but it'd be a nightmare to impliment. Wish I had the specs that my cousin had for it. Who doesn't want to see an Archer toting a PPC in its fist?

3: Specialized Clubs: Another pick-up weapon, but more than just 'here's a piece of rebar'. Think Solaris VII rules of physical combat, applied to the battlefield. we're talking spiked knuckles, nail-bats, and in my cousin's case, the biggest damned monkey wrench in creation. Possibly rigged with SRM warheads for a punch.

Anyway, I couldn't help but blurb. BACK TO THE MECHS!

#42 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 29 December 2012 - 08:27 PM

A custom 100-tonner with 300 XL, Endo, maxed armor, DHS, 3 gauss, 6 tons of ammo, ERPPC, and a 1-shot SRM4 (had to tuck 2.5 tons into 1 crit). Once managed to park it at the end of a bottleneck. The carnage was glorious. Last revamp (untested) pulled the ERPPC, SRM, and half ton of armor for an HPPC.

Normally, however, I'll just take a modded level 1 Whammie that drops the MGs and support lasers for an extra ton of SRM6 ammo (usually infernos), 2 extra HS, and the remaining 2 tons to up-armor it.

#43 Urienna

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:22 AM

My favourite second line clan mech(even though it's technically a SL design), and probably my favourite mech period, Stone Rhino. 2 Gauss, 2 Lpulse, enough armour to laugh at most mechs, what's not to love.

For the IS, it's gotta be the Thug, becasue PPCs, SRMs, and upright torso having chicken walkers are boss.

#44 Grotonomus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 367 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMorningside, Pandora OA, Tamar March, Lyran Space, Federated Commonwealth

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:19 PM

Running the Charger as a scout/sighter Mech for a lance of Catapults or Trebuchets. It was 80 tons of Kurita LoLs!!! ;)

#45 Deus Rex

Rookie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 04:28 PM

and kicks and of course charges lol

View PostAdam ODochartaigh, on 30 December 2012 - 07:19 PM, said:

Running the Charger as a scout/sighter Mech for a lance of Catapults or Trebuchets. It was 80 tons of Kurita LoLs!!! :D

#46 KalebFenoir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 222 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:40 AM

One of my favorite Guilty Pleasure Mechs is the Marauder IIc. I've always been a devout Unseen fan, and when my buddy picked up one of those first printing editions of TRO 3055, and we saw the IIcs in it, we were hooked. He eventually moved away from those mechs, reverting back to Mad Cats-for-everything, but I kept using them, and in interesting ways.

I was always a Marauder fan, and the IIc version had lines that I absolutely loved. The sheer amount of energy firepower though, astounded me (and worried me, since it made it a walking heat bubble), so I started toying with slightly alternate loadouts, and finally settled on one I liked.

After stripping out the MASSIVE number of MedPulse lasers, I put that tonnage to use, strapping in a 4 ton targetting computer (might as well make those ER PPCs into real sniping weapons), and the rest into a Pair of ATM-6s with a ton of ammo between them. Tried it out in a fight with my friend, and was very pleased when he got royally pissed about have most of his armour grated off in a single round.

I still love using the normal loadout, but if I have a choice, I'll use my custom version.

#47 Pht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

Flashman ... blast, blast, blast, blast, blast, walk away... and anything with dual gauss; they seem to have a habit of hitting the cockpit a lot.

#48 KalebFenoir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 222 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:28 AM

View PostPht, on 01 January 2013 - 05:57 PM, said:

Flashman ... blast, blast, blast, blast, blast, walk away... and anything with dual gauss; they seem to have a habit of hitting the cockpit a lot.

You do realize that by swapping out the weapons for Dual Gauss, you've taken the Flashbulb and turned it into 15 ton overweight Glass Spider/Galahad/Galahad IS? Most of the variants of the Flashman have like, tons of energy weapons, no ballistics (save for an AMS in one version).

#49 Marhalut

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 21 posts
  • LocationCanadia

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:52 AM

I've been looking to get into the Tabletop for awhile now, so I've been checking out a lot of the other mechs available. :lol: I've got to say... I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to make sweet, nerdy love to the Devastator Mech... :rolleyes:
Dual PPCs and Gauss, with four Med lasers and 54 km/h... What's NOT to want!? :( (I'd actually really want to see this in game. It was introduced in 3036... They COULD do it!? I think? :blink:)

#50 Abrissbirne

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

Hmm... Flashman was my favorite in MW2 Mercs. Warhammer 3L with flamers for machine guns is nice as well. When it's 'modern stuff', then I'd say ANV-3M Anvil. 60 tons, 2 large pulse lasers, jump jets and ECM. Nasty guy, believe me.

Mechs with Gauss rifles make me laugh. On my first CBT game, I went with an old Hunchback against a Victor with one of these. The Victor destroyed the Hunchie's AC20, then I got into punching distance. One round later, the Vicor lacked his head. Fom then on - no Gauss for me.

#51 Palerider

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:31 PM

View PostOdanan, on 26 December 2012 - 02:18 AM, said:

Wolverine. There is only one weapon you need in TT: medium lasers. Lots of them.

Then you'd probably like the standard variant of the Komodo or what is essentially the clan equivalent in terms of loadout, the Nova.

#52 Steinar Bergstol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

Guilty pleasure? Gotta be the Firestarter. Not a mech most people would list among their top machines... until the enemy is hiding from you in that woods-heavy map. Then you giggle madly as you set fire to everything around them and watch their heat spike while they try to escape to open ground, where you are waiting with your big guns. :huh:

The Locust is another one. Meep-Meep PTHBTTTTH ZOOOOOOOM! :)

#53 Pht

• 2,299 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:01 PM

View PostKalebFenoir, on 02 January 2013 - 07:28 AM, said:

You do realize that by swapping out the weapons for Dual Gauss, you've taken the Flashbulb and turned it into 15 ton overweight Glass Spider/Galahad/Galahad IS? Most of the variants of the Flashman have like, tons of energy weapons, no ballistics (save for an AMS in one version).

I didn't mean that I liked the flashman converted to use dual gauss.

I meant that i liked any mech that has dual gauss.

#54 KalebFenoir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 222 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:51 AM

View PostPht, on 04 January 2013 - 04:01 PM, said:

I didn't mean that I liked the flashman converted to use dual gauss.

I meant that i liked any mech that has dual gauss.

Ah, I see... Well you'd probably like those two I mentioned, or the Cerberus, or even the Stone Rhino/Behemoth. Those ones are some really solid designs. :)

#55 Ashnod

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,636 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

Marauder IIC 7, Savage Coyote and the Devastator

#56 Vanguard319

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,436 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

The Hellhound from MW4, looked badass, was well armored, and hard points could mount some decent firepower. Also, the Snow Fox, (a fast quad mech) and the 6M Locust (300+ kph top speed with MASC)

#57 Starhamster

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

I tend to favor Inner Sphere Mechs, as I don't like the look of Clan Mechs. There is no denying the efficiency of Omni-Mech tech, but they seem to lack 'heart' or whatever you want to call it.

I like the look of the 3025 Rifleman. The weapons load out isn't ideal for my tastes, so I only use one if I am running more than one mech in a game. Same with the Warhammer. I prefer to tweak the weapons load if allowed, but love the look. I have ever since the first time I saw it on the cover of the second edition of Battledroids, when the game was renamed to Battletech A Game of Armored Combat. I didn't know it was from Macross, had never heard of the Black Widow, but dayum, that beast was impressive looking, and screamed: "Allo. I blow you up!"

The ones I prefer to use the most are the Awesome, Victor, and Steiner Banshee. The Awesome because it could take a lickin' and keep on tickin'. The Victor for it's mobility and AC20, even though I tended not to hit with it a lot. The Steiner Banshee because it had sufficient weaponry to offset my lousy dice rolls. I'd usually hit with at least one or two of them when using the Steiner Banshee.

I also like the look of the Atlas, but never cared for the weapons load.

Starhamster
"Pieces through superior alpha strikes"

#58 Kobold

• Elite Founder
  • 2,930 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

Also wanted to add, favorite vees:

Saladin - 8/12 with an AC20 for 2/3 the cost of a Hunchback? Yes please!

Pegasus / Drillson (SRM) / Harrasser (SRM) - I credit some of the guys who kicked my butt back when I first started playing on MegaMekNET 3025 server with turning me on to the joy that is inferno SRMs on mobile delivery systems.

#59 JakeEDogge

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

For me it's hard to go past the Clan Hunchback 2C. Sure it has next to no ammo for those two AC/20 Ultras but for just a little while I can terrify anything with that awesome damage potential. I had an Inner Sphere Stalker at one stage with all its weapons upgraded with Clan tech; twin large pulse, four medium pulse, twin srm 6 streaks and twin lrm 20s combined with double heat sinks. I never got to use it as my GM took it out with aircraft but it was always a dream to rebuild it. having said that just a standard Stalker is one of my favourites.

Edited by JakeEDogge, 06 January 2013 - 06:22 PM.

#60 JEB8753

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 82 posts
  • LocationWashington state

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

favorite guilty pleasure mechs huh probably the grizzly because of the book roar of honor gregory was a beast and the kodiak cuz its got claws in the hand and its a fast 100 tonner

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users