10314 replies to this topic

#2741 BSK

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 05:41 AM

View PostBSK, on 10 October 2014 - 02:20 AM, said:

Am I the only one who experiences this, but apparently in my last 8 matches ALL assaults in each team were in the same lance? Same goes for the heavies.

I was asking for other players actual experiences in the current game not for an arguement with someone who made more posts in this forum than he played matches in the game.

Posted Image
400 ton Assaults in Bravo lance.
4 Heavies in Charlie lance.
3 Mediums and 1 Light in Alpha lance.

Posted Image
4 Assaults in Bravo lance.
3 Heavies and 1 Light in Charlie lance.
2 Mediums and 2 Lights in Alpha lance.

Posted Image
4 Assaults in Charlie lance.
4 Heavies in Alpha lance.
3 Mediums and 1 Light in Bravo lance.

Posted Image
400 ton Assaults in Charlie lance.
3 Heavies and 1 Medium in Alpha lance.
2 Mediums and 2 Lights in Bravo lance.

Posted Image
4 Assaults in Charlie lance.
4 Heavies in Alpha lance.
3 Mediums and 1 Light in Bravo lance.
Enemy team:
400 ton Assaults in Bravo lance.
4 Heavies in Charlie lance.
3 Mediums and 1 Light in Alpha lance.

DO YOU SEE A PATTERN NOW? This is "Short Question, Short Answer" and I was asking for other gamers' observations. These 5 matches were made in the last 2 hours ..

#2742 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:03 AM

There seems a to be a(n undocumented) change sorting solo queue so weight classes are in the same lance. Weight class sorting has also been reported elsewhere on the forum but it would seem to be a recent change, possibly implemented along with the hotfix that turned off the game mode soft choice.
As for the lances containing 4 assaults, that's part of the MM's "release valves" where it flexes the 3/3/3/3 rule for faster matching. it's possible the MM was tuned to flex sooner/more which would account for more-than-usual number of Assaults in the match, although exact changes to the MM are rarely announced in detail.

#2743 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:05 AM

View PostBSK, on 10 October 2014 - 05:41 AM, said:

I was asking for other players actual experiences in the current game not for an arguement with someone who made more posts in this forum than he played matches in the game.

[stats and screenshots]

DO YOU SEE A PATTERN NOW? This is "Short Question, Short Answer" and I was asking for other gamers' observations. These 5 matches were made in the last 2 hours ..

Redshift was not argueing with you he was just trying to explain what was happening.

at the time you were making those posts the Matchmaker wouold have been over saturated with Dire Wolves or other Assualts, I have seen matches recently (over the last few months) with as many as 8 assualts (or 8 Heavies) on a single team, someone can then take command and arrange them into 2 assualt lances.

If someone is not giving the answer you were looking for then by all means elaberate or ask for alternatave answers but please do so politely

#2744 BSK

• Mercenary Rank 7
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:34 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 10 October 2014 - 07:05 AM, said:

If someone is not giving the answer you were looking for then by all means elaberate or ask for alternatave answers but please do so politely

By all means? By all means your flaming is not needed here. I was asking a short question about the actual players experiences here and was expecting a short answer of other players observations. Instead I got a long theoretical answer of someone who I had to ask 3 times to play the game right now before he makes another theoretical answer. I consider it very impolite to spam this thread with his stubborness on pointing out each time the theories which do not apply right now in the actual game. The match maker is broken in its current state and is providing an unpleasant game experience. Can we leave it like that right now and you let other players voice their experiences or do you have to continue to spam this thread with irrelevant explanations that do not reflect the current state?

Again, is everyone else experiencing weird match making in weight classes with 400 ton lances?

#2745 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:42 AM

I would love to load up some matches, but I'm at work. I do have some time to write some posts, though. I'm not preventing anyone else from also replying, and you've spammed the thread just as much as I have so I think we'll have to call it even.

4 assaults in a match is not "broken" because the matcher has always been flexible. It is possible they have changed exactly how it flexes which may lead to a higher likelihood of assaults in a match, or it may simply be the natural effect of the current player population (I presume the assault queue % is quite high right now)

#2746 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:46 AM

View PostBSK, on 10 October 2014 - 07:34 AM, said:

By all means? By all means your flaming is not needed here. I was asking a short question about the actual players experiences here and was expecting a short answer of other players observations. Instead I got a long theoretical answer of someone who I had to ask 3 times to play the game right now before he makes another theoretical answer. I consider it very impolite to spam this thread with his stubborness on pointing out each time the theories which do not apply right now in the actual game. The match maker is broken in its current state and is providing an unpleasant game experience. Can we leave it like that right now and you let other players voice their experiences or do you have to continue to spam this thread with irrelevant explanations that do not reflect the current state?

Again, is everyone else experiencing weird match making in weight classes with 400 ton lances?

Wowee, hateful much? Dude was just trying to help.

Regarding your question, no, I did not experience any 400t assault lances today so far. For data sorting purposes, I drive a light in the pug queue almost exclusively, and have been experiencing unusually long waits to get into matches today. I'd tell you my theories about why this is the way it is, but I suppose I don't want you to suffer an apoplectic fit.

#2747 BSK

• Mercenary Rank 7
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:05 AM

View PostTim East, on 10 October 2014 - 07:46 AM, said:

For data sorting purposes, I drive a light in the pug queue almost exclusively, and have been experiencing unusually long waits to get into matches today.

And this is proving my point. The match maker is now sorting after weight classes and starts with the heaviest mechs. First he finds 4 Assaults, adds some Heavies, some Mediums and then the rest gets filled with Lights. As a player of light 'mechs you now have very long search times as you are the last who gets served. Play a 100 ton 'mech and you immediately find a game. The ELO doesn't matter in any way today. Only the weight counts, preferable the same weight, thus even 'mechs of the same type.

#2748 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:09 AM

Hm. May test that with my super-terrible Atlas. Forgive me, my team...

Well, initial sampling is failing to provide examples of 400t lances, though it does seem that the MM is sorting people into lances of rough weight class and for some reason the assault queue does seem to be going faster so far despite being the highest percentage. Weird. Could be something to do with my Elo in those classes maybe. Ah, the mysteries of the matchmaker.

Edited by Tim East, 10 October 2014 - 08:23 AM.

#2749 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:35 AM

View PostBSK, on 10 October 2014 - 08:05 AM, said:

And this is proving my point. The match maker is now sorting after weight classes and starts with the heaviest mechs. First he finds 4 Assaults, adds some Heavies, some Mediums and then the rest gets filled with Lights. As a player of light 'mechs you now have very long search times as you are the last who gets served. Play a 100 ton 'mech and you immediately find a game. The ELO doesn't matter in any way today. Only the weight counts, preferable the same weight, thus even 'mechs of the same type.

to test your theory, in my beloved Spiders I did some drops in the Solo queue
it does look like assaults are in one lance, lights all in another,mediums fill out the light lance + the other lance heavies fill out the assault and medium lances
here are the timings for finding a match and Mech distribution on my team
18 seconds, 4 Assaults 2 Heavies, 3 Mediums 3 Lights
12 seconds 3,3,3,3
14 seconds, 3,3,3,3

non of the matches featured 3 100 ton Mechs on the same team

yes it sorts by weight class but does not favor assaults and lights find a match really fast, so based on this admittedly small sample size your theory looks incorrect, on 2 of the 3 drops I had a perfect 3,3,3,3 and lights found a match really fast, hardly surprising considering lights have stayed below 20% of the queue

edit, spelling and clarity

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 10 October 2014 - 08:43 AM.

#2750 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 10 October 2014 - 08:50 AM

I wonder if BSK has had his Dire Wolf for a long time or only a short time. If it's a new DW and he is new to Assaults in general, he may have a much lower Elo and may be seeing different results because of that (a player has 4 Elo scores, one for each weight class) and since Dire wolves for C-bills are still pretty new, there is probably a dearth of Dire Wolves at low/starting Elo as compared to higher Elo ranges.

#2751 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 October 2014 - 09:44 AM

View PostBSK, on 10 October 2014 - 07:34 AM, said:

This thread is about short questions and answers, not about what you are currently seeing ingame, because that would mean many answers which means not a short answer. You can't say you expect a short answer, if the nature of your question requires multiple people to respond to be valid.
This MM sorting topic should stay out of here.
In this case you should use the General discussion or patch feedback forum and open a seperate topic.

Sorry to sound rude, but making a fuss about people answering here in the intended short and correct style is neither helpfull not helping new players (which this is the main audience for the New Player Help section).

#2752 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,661 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 10 October 2014 - 10:33 AM

BSK, your posts should have been in the general discussion, not new player help as it is not relating to questions and answers for new players.

Redshift was merely explaining how the system works. At no point did he say you were wrong, he just kept repeating how it is designed to work. Those are the kinds of questions and answers that populate this section of the forums--how things work.

If you have a point to make (MM is broken), that is a topic for the general discussion area, not here.

Next question please.

#2753 JTYoshi

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 09:04 PM

I am new and have not played yet but have been having a mess around in the mechlab and am wondering how good or bad 85% cooling efficiency is in game?

#2754 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 09:24 PM

.85 in the mechlab, or 85% in smurfy? The difference is really significant. .85 will overheat really quickly if you shoot all your weapons at once, but 85% will take some serious spam to get to overheat.

#2755 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,661 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 10 October 2014 - 09:32 PM

I aim to get a 1.3 or so heat efficiency in the game's mechlab. It feels about right. But it will vary based on your mech, weapons, and how well you manage your trigger finger. 1.3 might be a good starting point (especially without any skills unlocked) but adjust to your playing.

#2756 JTYoshi

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 09:37 PM

View PostTim East, on 10 October 2014 - 09:24 PM, said:

.85 in the mechlab, or 85% in smurfy? The difference is really significant. .85 will overheat really quickly if you shoot all your weapons at once, but 85% will take some serious spam to get to overheat.

85% in smurfys on raven 2x running 4 medium lasers and thanks

#2757 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 09:39 PM

Actually, I find that it varies highly depending on what you plan to do with any given build. If you're boating, it's easy to want to alpha strike all the time and the number isn't quite as forgiving as you might assume. Conversely, if you run a ton of different weapon groups and are never going to fire them in close sequence due to range limitations or projectile speed issues, you will tend to be considerably less likely to overheat than a boating build of the same number.

/edit: Yeah, that's way easy to not overheat with. Most people ride the curve a little hotter than that. ;)

/more editing: Oh, and Smurfy has this neat tab at the top labeled "Weaponlab" that tells you how many seconds of continuous fire it will take to overheat your mech. You can even set the % of the time you expect to fire any given weapon on sliders in it and check boxes for mech skills.

Edited by Tim East, 10 October 2014 - 09:42 PM.

#2758 JTYoshi

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 01:41 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...51b5f0f71796312

this is my build idea for a Raven 2X any tips?

also Tim with the weaponlab is the time of continuous fire till overheated in seconds and milliseconds or minutes and seconds?

because it says 01:46

Edited by JTYoshi, 11 October 2014 - 01:47 AM.

#2759 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 11 October 2014 - 01:48 AM

View PostJTYoshi, on 11 October 2014 - 01:41 AM, said:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...51b5f0f71796312

this is my build idea for a Raven 2X any tips?

also Tim with the weaponlab is the time of continuous fire till overheated in seconds and milliseconds or minutes and seconds?

I'm not using the 2X, but you got a lot of heatsinks and very low armor in.
You can aim for 15 Heatsinks with 5-6 MLaser (in a Jenner) so you could try something like this in the 2X.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...df29be809be78e7

Also if you have access (maybe after your first 25 matches) you can get into the Mech and Guides section here for light mechs:
http://mwomercs.com/...ht-mech-builds/

#2760 JTYoshi

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 11 October 2014 - 01:58 AM

thanks for the suggestion I notice that you gave it some longer range fighting capability I am just thinking though that it runs quite hot and can only fire continuously for 00:27 while my design fires for 01:46 continuously though I do love the practically doubled armour I was just thinking with my design only about how much DPS I could get out of it and I guess I thought that it would be fast enough that the armour could work but I haven't played a match yet so I couldn't know for sure whether it would work or not

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users