• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 927 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon, Inner Sphere.

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:41 PM

Quickdraw looks like an oversized Commando :P :D

what an ugly and stupid looking mech lulz :rolleyes:

Edited by Lokust Davion, 05 June 2013 - 06:42 PM.

#142 Hans Von Lohman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:47 PM

The Quickdraw was a surprise. I was thinking the same as everyone else that the Orion was on track to be the next mech.

However, there might be something to the Quickdraw.

1. None of the Quickdraws have a ballistic, but past experience says the "Hero" mech version will probably add an autocannon.

2. It will have jump jets, but this weight class starts the range of 1 ton per JJ, making it a min-max nightmare. A Trebuchet is better for having only .5 ton JJ's. You might see many QD's get rid of their jets to make room for other items.

3. It should have balanced hit boxes so the center torso isn't always hit like a Dragon, which many Dragon pilots are not happy with from reading the past few pages of posts.

4. There is a version that has ECM, although that variant is not in the right timeline. This might be in one of them, or it might be the hero mech's selling point instead of having a ballistic hardpoint.

5. Energy hardpoints on both arms and the right torso (or both left and right torso on the 5A variant that drops the LRM10). This means flexibility for lasers on the arms to fight circle strafiing lights, while PPC's can be used to get a high alpha strike.

6. I have found that mixed torso and arm energy weapons do tend to make it a bit tough to get fire groups that are quick to use and easy to aim, especially on mechs with arms that aim separate from the torso.

7. It is a default speed of 84kph, so that means it should have a potential top speed of 96kph, making it be able to keep up with lights if needed, and potentially scare one off on capture the flag game mode when you meet a light at Theta flag.

Overall I think the design was going to be added to the game eventually, although I was actually hoping for a Guillotine so we could have something similar to a Warhammer.

Pretty much any 2750 or 3039 heavy chassis is going to be added to the game eventually. The heavy weight class was the bunch that took the hit the worst when the unseens had to be removed. The ones that were left are all going to be added because there is nothing else to add.

#143 Name140704

• 1,196 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 05 June 2013 - 06:51 PM

Boring. B.S. on the metagame excuse too. They are probably going to put out a hero Orion before the actual Orion like the Heavy metal was just to milk more cash.

#144 Mahws

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:07 PM

View PostOne Medic Army, on 05 June 2013 - 06:25 PM, said:

So?
It's irrelevant. Nobody runs stock for longer than it takes to afford DHS, if even that long.
The highlanders (bar 1) had the exact same base hardpoints before PGI gave them more.
It's pretty much irrelevant to discuss the stock loadouts for any mech in MWO, only how those stock loadouts determine the minimum hardpoints.
We already know exactly what these mechs will field stock, and where it'll be placed. In this case the G and H will be exactly the same with the stock configs. Who cares?

Did I say it was important? I said it was interesting. Just find it odd that the quickdraw, a mech with relatively little appreciation from BT fans, with a loadout very similair to the already existing Trebuchet and with little cannon variation between variants was chosen over any of the several other IS heavies available.

Though I wouldn't say that the stock configs are irrelevant. We may forget it up in our Double Heatsink Ivory Towers, but new players do exist and the trial mech system is still in place.

Edited by Mahws, 05 June 2013 - 07:08 PM.

#145 Hans Von Lohman

• Knight Errant
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:09 PM

By "meta game" they might mean community warfare, and then the faction that traditionally builds that mech may come into question.

Heavy Mechs by faction.

1. Kurita = Dragon, Quickdraw, Catapult
2. Davion = Jagermech, Cataphract
3. Liao = Catapult, Cataphract
4. Marik = Quickdraw, Orion
5. Steiner = Quickdraw, Orion
6. FRR = Dragon, Quickdraw, Catapult
7. Comstar = Grasshopper, Champion, Bombardier, Guillotine, Black Knight.

Now, I have no idea if any of this comes into play, but it might.

Edited by Hans Von Lohman, 05 June 2013 - 07:42 PM.

#146 General Taskeen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:27 PM

View PostHans Von Lohman, on 05 June 2013 - 06:47 PM, said:

The Quickdraw was a surprise. I was thinking the same as everyone else that the Orion was on track to be the next mech.

However, there might be something to the Quickdraw.

1. None of the Quickdraws have a ballistic, but past experience says the "Hero" mech version will probably add an autocannon.

None of the current Quickdraws at this point in time. But down the road with additions who knows? The 8X is probably what you seek. A Quickdraw with a handheld RAC/5 kind of lends to its name.

#147 Hans Von Lohman

• Knight Errant
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:32 PM

View PostGeneral Taskeen, on 05 June 2013 - 07:27 PM, said:

None of the current Quickdraws at this point in time. But down the road with additions who knows? The 8X is probably what you seek. A Quickdraw with a handheld RAC/5 kind of lends to its name.

I'm more curious if the ECM version is the one that gets added. There is a bit of a hole in the lineup since there are no heavies that can fit a Guardian ECM. Now that ECM is more or less useful, but no longer the boogeyman it once was with Beagle Active Probe, TAG lasers, PPC shots, and Drone consumables that all countering it (particularly TAG lasers that is a must have on any LRM boat), I wouldn't mind seeing an ECM heavy.

However, my favorite weapon in the game is the AC-10, so I wouldn't mind seeing a Quickdraw with a ballistic slot on it. But, like I said that is probably going to be the Hero mech that goes into oddball loadouts like the Dragon Flame and the Misery that added guns to the torso.

#148 SICk Nick

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 181 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:54 PM

YES! ECM heavy mech would be awesome..ESPECIALLY if it could jump and be fast as balls.

#149 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:09 PM

View PostHans Von Lohman, on 05 June 2013 - 09:32 PM, said:

I'm more curious if the ECM version is the one that gets added. There is a bit of a hole in the lineup since there are no heavies that can fit a Guardian ECM. Now that ECM is more or less useful, but no longer the boogeyman it once was with Beagle Active Probe, TAG lasers, PPC shots, and Drone consumables that all countering it (particularly TAG lasers that is a must have on any LRM boat), I wouldn't mind seeing an ECM heavy.

It will not. ER Meds are not in the current timeline.

#150 Hans Von Lohman

• Knight Errant
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:51 AM

There is a distinctive lack of variants for the Quickdraw that would be official. They're pretty much down to just 2 loadouts. The standard loadout (although the two rear facing right torso medium lasers are going to face forwards), and then the laser boat version that drops the LRM-10 for another pair of medium lasers (6 medium lasers, 1 SRM-4).

I can't think of what the mandatory 3rd variant would be. That is why I think they might cheat a bit and give us an ECM version.

The only other variant might be one they come up withe themselves and we could see a Quickdraw with 4 medium lasers, and a trio of SRM-s. The SRM-4 in the center torso, then an SRM-4 and SRM-6 in the left torso. That missile launcher box was always goofy looking by being divided into two sections, so they could use that as a place to add another missile hardpoint.

But that would probably be a variant that loses something to balance it out, like not having jump jets.

#151 Takony

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 265 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 06 June 2013 - 02:58 AM

Quickdraw looks ... erm nevermind.
I guess it will have elephant legs.

Now the shield arms might be useful for damage spreading by torso twisting.

Main question: the side torso!

How viable is it with XL engines? Will it be as good with XL as a Catapult, or a Trebuchet? Or just a walking bomb like the Jagers?

If it is not viable with XL engines, it will be just another useless, heavy wannabe but rather truly a medium pile of scrap metal.

Also, as a cruel twist of fate, it could come with ridiculously low armor levels, so before you can even kit it out, you _have to_ sacrifice tonnage for acceptable protection, heh...

Weapon loadout: x PPCs lol.

On the other hand, Orion is like, hmm, torso mounted AC20? Only 2 energy slots, and even in the arms? Useless missile tubes? The fame is probably bigger than the actual combat value. And no JJ-s means mobility is lacking.

While there is no class limit in matches (2/3/2/2 or anything), most chassi will just collect dust in mechbays, while players duke it out in the few potent mechs.

#152 Kyynele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 973 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:02 AM

Wow, the concept art for the Quickdraw is much nicer than the Soviet Washingmachine -Orion. Must have.

#153 StonedVet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:10 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 05 June 2013 - 03:05 PM, said:

and it is very important that every mech and announcement be made solely for your satisfaction, yes?

Oh Im sorry, I forgot I needed to get your approval for my opinion. How about you take your Ego out of your *** and ditch the arrogance? May be a little difficult to do im sure ..

#154 SgtMagor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 06 June 2013 - 03:41 AM

must have variant with ECM, Targeting computer, Arty IV QKD-5Mr :) , this mech is supposed to jump as far as a light mech, so we have a Hunter/Killer with the mobility of a light.

#155 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 06 June 2013 - 05:39 AM

I like the PGI artwork of the Quickdraw. I also like the fact is still keeps the good old "Come at me bro!" pose as the old Quickdraw artwork.

NEW
Posted Image

OLD
Posted Image

#156 wirikidor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 170 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC USA

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:02 AM

Wow I can't believe how many people are basing their entire gaming happiness on a mech they haven't even owned yet (the Orion).

#157 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 06 June 2013 - 06:19 AM

View PostLowridah, on 06 June 2013 - 03:10 AM, said:

Oh Im sorry, I forgot I needed to get your approval for my opinion. How about you take your Ego out of your *** and ditch the arrogance? May be a little difficult to do im sure ..

lol, yup the irony of your statement has obviously eluded you, perhaps because your head is so far up your own? Put your opinions up as all encompassing announcements of somethings worth, expect to get called on it. Get some thicker skin, or stay off public forums.

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 06 June 2013 - 05:39 AM, said:

I like the PGI artwork of the Quickdraw. I also like the fact is still keeps the good old "Come at me bro!" pose as the old Quickdraw artwork.

NEW
Posted Image

OLD
Posted Image

I like the fact that now it looks like when you DO "come at him" he won't snap at the ankles!

#158 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:39 AM

Yea, there is something special about that 80's Battletech artwork :).

#159 Ophidian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 123 posts
  • LocationI HAVE NO IDEA WHERE I AM! SEND HELP!

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:47 AM

I'm glad they got rid of that weird *** looking head.

Edited by Ophidian, 06 June 2013 - 07:47 AM.

#160 KeefCheef

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 42 posts
  • LocationThe Periphery

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:49 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 06 June 2013 - 07:39 AM, said:

Yea, there is something special about that 80's Battletech artwork :).

It's "special" alright.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users