Quickdraw (Mech Of The Month -- June)

226 replies to this topic

#101 Codegen

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 13 posts
  • LocationBaltic Sea, Libau

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:34 AM

And I was preparing my hangar for Orion :)

#102 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 05 June 2013 - 07:39 AM

View PostCodegen, on 05 June 2013 - 07:34 AM, said:

Me too... even bought an Atlas to train for it. ;)

#103 Zieten

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 139 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:34 AM

View PostWaking One, on 05 June 2013 - 07:12 AM, said:

The Orion is just a smaller atlas. And you'd see it fit with Gauss + ERPPCs same as everything else. Meh.

the Quickdraw is just a bigger Trenchbucket - that argument is not very valid for you could use it for any new mech coming out. there is not that much variety if you can mod the loadout of mechs as much as it is currently possible

#104 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:38 AM

This is what Brian said from another thread:

View PostBryan Ekman, on 05 June 2013 - 08:31 AM, said:

Completely untrue. lol. We wanted to more variety to the mech meta game, so we changed it up a bit. The order in which mechs are announced will not always be the order in which they are released.

My reaction to it:

#105 Finn McShae

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 475 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:39 AM

View PostCodegen, on 05 June 2013 - 07:34 AM, said:

I myself have been running my Jager A with the Orion loadout to get used to the mix. Very much sadface.

#106 Trauglodyte

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 08:49 AM

You could just as easily say that they chose the Quickdraw over the Orion due to the fact that the current "fast" Heavy is a walking time bomb waiting to happen. Personally, I like the Dragon and I do my best to make it work. But even this new mech won't be that great because, with JJs, it's weight will still be limited for either engine or payload and the new JJ shake makes the concept of poptarting pretty poor. LRMs are still crazy weak and SRMs, even though they now have HSR in play, all scatter. So, you're talking about a fast missile carrier with JJs and maybe a PPC or two that may or may not be as fast/potent as the Dragon. Its only saving grace is going to be, MAYBE, a less bulky profile. Yay?

#107 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,611 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:13 AM

75 tons is the sweet spot for Heavy mechs. It's close to an assault loadout and armor, but with good speed of the Heavy class. Likewise, 55 tons is the sweet spot for Medium mechs, so it would have been better to get a 55 tonner than the Quickdraw.

On paper the Quickdraw looks like a nerf-mech anyway, similar to how the Pretty Baby was nerfed with small number missile tubes on the launchers and just a few energy slots. That might not matter though since 60 tons is the garbage spot for Heavies (except for Clan 60 tonners). 60 tons gets you slower than a medium with the same loadout. You get a bit better armor, but as we learned from the Awesome it's actually the hit boxes that determine survivability, not armor counts.

Too bad Battletech didn't balance the hit-boxes of mechs. I guess they did in a way since in essence Battletech is saying that the hit-boxes are indentically placed on all mechs just by not defining it.

#108 RapierE01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts
  • LocationEden

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:43 AM

its a heavy Mech... so i will buy it :)

#109 A big brave boulder of meat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 177 posts
  • LocationOakdale, Minnesota

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:52 AM

So, did they mention why Orion was pushed? I think it would be great if they pushed put two Mechs now and then.

#110 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:54 AM

View PostTrollvomiT, on 05 June 2013 - 09:52 AM, said:

So, did they mention why Orion was pushed? I think it would be great if they pushed put two Mechs now and then.

->

View PostBryan Ekman, on 05 June 2013 - 08:31 AM, said:

Completely untrue. lol. We wanted to more variety to the mech meta game, so we changed it up a bit. The order in which mechs are announced will not always be the order in which they are released.

#111 A big brave boulder of meat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 177 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:56 AM

I dig the Quickdraw and all..But if there happens to be to completed mechs (unless that's npt the case) wouldn't you be more happy with then realising Two in one patch? I could even see that increasing MC sales.. Sorry for grammar mistales..phone suck

#112 DirePhoenix

• 1,565 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:00 AM

I never was a fan of the Quickdraw, I wonder if FD's art will change that (I was also never a fan of the Centurion until FD's art either). Also I never noticed that a 'mech named for gunslinger action has ZERO ballistic weapons.

#113 Lord Perversor

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,815 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in New Aragon

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:05 AM

View PostLightfoot, on 05 June 2013 - 09:13 AM, said:

75 tons is the sweet spot for Heavy mechs. It's close to an assault loadout and armor, but with good speed of the Heavy class. Likewise, 55 tons is the sweet spot for Medium mechs, so it would have been better to get a 55 tonner than the Quickdraw.

On paper the Quickdraw looks like a nerf-mech anyway, similar to how the Pretty Baby was nerfed with small number missile tubes on the launchers and just a few energy slots. That might not matter though since 60 tons is the garbage spot for Heavies (except for Clan 60 tonners). 60 tons gets you slower than a medium with the same loadout. You get a bit better armor, but as we learned from the Awesome it's actually the hit boxes that determine survivability, not armor counts.

Too bad Battletech didn't balance the hit-boxes of mechs. I guess they did in a way since in essence Battletech is saying that the hit-boxes are indentically placed on all mechs just by not defining it.

If we consider the Quickdraw keep same engine sizes as the Dragon.

expect to met the 1st quickdraws running at 100kph with 4x LL and JJ for cover, or even faster ones with around 4-6 med lasers plus some SRM or SStreak. and this considering you can't reach higher than 360 engine.

#114 A big brave boulder of meat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 177 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:06 AM

I just wish I knew if they had completed mechs that they put on hold for later patches just to fill content gaps
I think for beta testing if they do in fact have playabal anything we should test it asap. But this all is probably not the case.

#115 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:08 AM

View PostDirePhoenix, on 05 June 2013 - 10:00 AM, said:

Also I never noticed that a 'mech named for gunslinger action has ZERO ballistic weapons.

Timber Wolves don't howl at the moon and Mad Cats don't play with cotton balls, either. :wub:

#116 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:13 AM

View PostAdridos, on 05 June 2013 - 10:08 AM, said:

Timber Wolves don't howl at the moon and Mad Cats don't play with cotton balls, either. :wub:

Catapults aren't on wheels and Atlai don't hold the burden of the world on their shoulders. :)

Also, Ravens don't squawk...oh wait. :ph34r:

Edited by FupDup, 05 June 2013 - 10:14 AM.

#117 stjobe

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:17 AM

But Commandos do it in the dark, and Spiders shoot webs - er, MG rounds. May as well be webbing for all it does :wub:

#118 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:30 AM

View PostFupDup, on 05 June 2013 - 10:13 AM, said:

Also, Ravens don't squawk...oh wait. :)

Are you sure? :wub:

Posted Image

#119 Sephlock

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10,819 posts

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:33 AM

Top one looks like a giant commando. Bottom one looks cool, but I'm sure PGI will just take the brick-like elements of it and otherwise make it like the top one (sans awesome dakka).

#120 General Taskeen

• 5,737 posts
  • LocationCircinus

Posted 05 June 2013 - 10:41 AM

View PostDirePhoenix, on 05 June 2013 - 10:00 AM, said:

I never was a fan of the Quickdraw, I wonder if FD's art will change that (I was also never a fan of the Centurion until FD's art either). Also I never noticed that a 'mech named for gunslinger action has ZERO ballistic weapons.

The Future 8X does. It is quite the "gunslinger." Evidence: Posted Image

Edited by General Taskeen, 05 June 2013 - 10:42 AM.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users