587 replies to this topic

#221 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:44 AM

View Postssm, on 18 November 2013 - 01:40 AM, said:

Sadly, everytime he 'streches' his vison I'm more certain that his game won't live up to expectations.

They made a brilliant game design decision from the start: Make it modular. THAT is why it will work. One studio can do all the FPS elements separate from the main studio (They have multiple studios) and the two can pretty much just "click" together.

That is the #1 reason I have a lot of faith in the project. The other modules are pretty much separately developed games that get to interact in the same environment.

Edited by Victor Morson, 18 November 2013 - 01:45 AM.

#222 Tolkien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:49 AM

View PostVictor Morson, on 18 November 2013 - 01:44 AM, said:

They made a brilliant game design decision from the start: Make it modular. THAT is why it will work. One studio can do all the FPS elements separate from the main studio (They have multiple studios) and the two can pretty much just "click" together.

That is the #1 reason I have a lot of faith in the project. The other modules are pretty much separately developed games that get to interact in the same environment.

This - as I understand it the Squadron 42 (single player) part of the game will be worked on by a separate team of guys that basically just shares art assets with the other modules. Compare and contrast to MWO where features promised 90 days after open beta are now (apparently, I still want to see a link to this) being discussed for 10 months from now.

Edited by Tolkien, 18 November 2013 - 01:50 AM.

#223 ssm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 18 November 2013 - 01:55 AM

Assuming that all modules are significant, potenitial problem with single one can drag down all the others (for example, balance problems in economy will affect space combat, and vice versa). Making game modular, whilst making development easier creates another potential layer of SNAFUs - ones with integration.

And while I'm not in game develpment, I assume that it's not as simple as just 'clicking' separate modules (and in cases like 'space combat' and 'planetary assault', practically diffrent games) together.

Edited by ssm, 18 November 2013 - 02:02 AM.

#224 GalaxyBluestar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,748 posts
  • Location...

Posted 18 November 2013 - 02:08 AM

View PostRiptor, on 18 November 2013 - 12:38 AM, said:

Wheres Heffay? Its not like him letting Road, panda and the others fight to defend the honour of PGI all by themselves.

which leads too...

Posted Image

#225 CrashieJ

• 1,435 posts
  • LocationGalatea (Mercenary's Star)

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:19 AM

View PostTolkien, on 18 November 2013 - 01:49 AM, said:

This - as I understand it the Squadron 42 (single player) part of the game will be worked on by a separate team of guys that basically just shares art assets with the other modules. Compare and contrast to MWO where features promised 90 days after open beta are now (apparently, I still want to see a link to this) being discussed for 10 months from now.

you can take this in layers where

racing will be in "sanctioned areas" bordering "battle areas"
Single player will have rewards to help players in the MMO
the MMO is separate but sharing with the other 2

#226 Blurry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • LocationGreat White North

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:46 AM

RSI - Is nothing short of a cash grab(they will deliver just not what you think) - be weary
Every new launch/sale comes with an extended cash grab too.

As for this game - I lasted a month. THe matches are just horrible one sided pub stomp 24/7 with only 5% being fun or even fair fight.
After you are done you realize what little you have in the bank and see the grind as horrible. Even with the Phoenix mechs and premium time it was a horrible time and very unforgiving.

Every once in a while you get a close fun match that you keep hoping happens again but rarely does.
Matches take about 5 mins to form and really are about the same people over and over. The population is going down.
Other than shooting a heavier or lighter mech what else is there?

Despite all the despair there are those little glimpses of hope. fix the matchmaker - have a solo q and create new content that requires groups ect for long term adjectives and maybe there will light.
But right now there is 0 dialogue - 0 reaction -0 hope.

Need a huge shot of liquid fun

Edited by Blurry, 18 November 2013 - 03:48 AM.

#227 Blurry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  • LocationGreat White North

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:55 AM

View PostGamgee, on 16 November 2013 - 11:14 PM, said:

Yep this game is dying. Good to see some people who kept their word like I. I just come here to mourn for what could have been, and maybe help some people realize the truth faster. Ripping off a band aid is best done quickly.

Star Citizen has my love now.

And you shall be hurt again - it is nothing but a cash grab and poorly executed. I have been there for a while and see the writing all over the wall. Get away from it as fast as you can.

#228 Riptor

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,043 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 03:56 AM

All star citizen has to do right is provide moddable private servers.

Thats all it takes to create a game that will last years... just like freelancer for example or neverwinternights 1+2 (yeah there are still servers around for all those games... go figure)

Sadly MWO wont be able to take that route due to its nature as f2p

#229 ssm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 18 November 2013 - 04:53 AM

View PostRiptor, on 18 November 2013 - 03:56 AM, said:

Thats all it takes to create a game that will last years... just like freelancer for example or neverwinternights 1+2 (yeah there are still servers around for all those games... go figure)

That's one of the things that bug me - If Star Citizen won't be F2P of any kind, how it's gonna sustain itself without publisher providing cashflow needed to pay for servers, support and staff?

Not to mention that private, moddable servers would divide playerbase and kill one of the main selling points of this game - alive, persistent universe.

Edited by ssm, 18 November 2013 - 04:56 AM.

#230 MonkeyCheese

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,045 posts
  • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:14 AM

View PostRiptor, on 18 November 2013 - 03:56 AM, said:

Bah I can still play halo 1 on PC and find plenty of full matches.

#231 Lefteye Falconeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 352 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario.

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:15 AM

View PostVictor Morson, on 18 November 2013 - 12:42 AM, said:

Community Warfare would be done if they had kept working in the 8 months of PPC horrors. I'd seriously pay to find out what was actually going on during that time.

This is what I always think about: I would pay real money to know what happened at some point, or simply to know how they were investing the 60 people they have working on MWO at certain times. Granted, plenty of those 60 people work on 'mech models or maps, and we know that they have never stopped producing stuff, and then there's people who work in marketing, community, website. But that should still leave... what... about 20 people working on UI 2.0 and Community Warfare? Features that we have been said they worked on for a year? Obviously they were not, so seriously... aside from a lot of work on netcode and hit registration (with questionable results), what have these 20+ people working on, and how, for a year?

Please, consider that I am not saying they are lazy and have not been working.
I am just really really really curious to know what have been the priorities, how slow the progress have been, what have been the biggest hurdles and how they have been faced and so on.

Yes, I am a curious person so I WOULD PAY to have had a "MWO: The Reality Show" and know what was really going on, especially in the days where we have been let to think that tweaking the heat value of a weapon was an immensely complicated task that required two patches or so.

Sorry if I sound snarky here and there. Again, I would LOVE to have an insider history of the past 12 months, to simply *UNDERSTAND* what slowed down the development so incredibly much.

Because from where we are sitting, no amount of "Command Chair - We have been working on this and that!" will ever explain what happened over 14 months and will never ease our minds about how bad this all looked.

#232 Lefteye Falconeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 352 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario.

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:29 AM

They made a brilliant game design decision from the start: Make it modular. THAT is why it will work.

This drives me nuts and worries me about the human mind.

I backed the project (about 40$, no reason to put in more) and I hope it will be everything I dream about, but if you don't mind I am gonna save this statement for the future.

I've never seen in my entire life such an immense "sale of hopes" outside of pseudo-religious and cult-oriented organizations before.

We all want Star Citizen to succeed. And I put my money on it to back my claim. But to assume that IT WILL SUCCEED BECAUSE OF REASONS is delusional, if not childish. Sorry ;)

So far RSI has been amazing at marketing. We will see if they will be able to materialize our dreams, but it is MUCH easier to produce promises and sell them than to develop a great, working game.

Edited by Lefteye, 18 November 2013 - 05:30 AM.

#233 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,627 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:30 AM

Well, I'm a comparatively new player. I've been here for about a month or so now.
From what I gather the main concern is the apparent lack of dev speed. Features taking an EON to find their way to the game.
I've not been here enough to see it-so can't really comment.
The state of MWO for me?
Generally fine.
I like the economy-it's forgiving when you lose, I appreciate that.
I like being able to do 4/12 mans.
I like being able to customise the mechs and loadouts to my taste.

I don't like the reliance on pinpoint roflsniper builds.
I don't like the lack of weight limits.
I'm staggered at the campy, hiding sheep-like herd mind of the general playerbase. "STICK WITH THE GROUP!!!!"

For me, it's the potential that has me here,playing. I have hopes for UI 2.0 and am praying that CW will live up to the hype. If they can just pull CW off they will be in a very sweet spot. However I think that this project is just too big for them to pull off. The slow speed is worrying, constant push backs and the fact they released an open beta level product as a release title is REALLY concerning.

So this new player is carrying on, playing on a wing and a prayer-and having fun doing it.

#234 Ransack

• 1,175 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:33 AM

View Postvalkyrie, on 17 November 2013 - 12:12 AM, said:

To those who said "if you don't like the game, just don't play," congratulations. You finally got what you wanted.

This is so true and sad. What's even sadder is that a lot of those people stopped playing too.

#235 Tolkien

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:39 AM

View Postkamiko kross, on 18 November 2013 - 05:30 AM, said:

Well, I'm a comparatively new player. I've been here for about a month or so now.
From what I gather the main concern is the apparent lack of dev speed. Features taking an EON to find their way to the game.
I've not been here enough to see it-so can't really comment.
The state of MWO for me?
Generally fine.
I like the economy-it's forgiving when you lose, I appreciate that.
I like being able to do 4/12 mans.
I like being able to customise the mechs and loadouts to my taste.

I don't like the reliance on pinpoint roflsniper builds.
I don't like the lack of weight limits.
I'm staggered at the campy, hiding sheep-like herd mind of the general playerbase. "STICK WITH THE GROUP!!!!"

For me, it's the potential that has me here,playing. I have hopes for UI 2.0 and am praying that CW will live up to the hype. If they can just pull CW off they will be in a very sweet spot. However I think that this project is just too big for them to pull off. The slow speed is worrying, constant push backs and the fact they released an open beta level product as a release title is REALLY concerning.

So this new player is carrying on, playing on a wing and a prayer-and having fun doing it.

Here's a quick primer for you http://mwomercs.com/...eveloper-update
This from June 2012 states that Community warfare will be in within 90 days of open beta, and states this is what people thinking of buying founders packs will know what they are getting.

Then in GDC2013 Bryan Eckman made it clear that CW was now intended to come out in three phases up until launch>
http://www.youtube.c...EGD501Mv0I#t=10

Neither happened.

If you go to the http://mwomercs.com/game page and look up 'what is the timeline' you will see that we are now in November 3050 in game time.

If that was true The FRR would have already lost their capitol and clans would be everywhere http://www.sarna.net...88/Clanwave.gif

These two issues represent some of the bigger sources of discontent in the community. Not just missed deadlines but multiple and repeatedly missed deadlines.

#236 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:39 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 16 November 2013 - 11:36 PM, said:

Is the Inner Sphere round or around anymore? Or is it Square... like Squared Away and doing something else?

It's kinda depressing seeing a lot of the same faces in many matches.

If this is the case, I would Assume Elo is working as intended. Is it not supposed to match you against those of a similar level? ;) Which do you want, balanced or random? Cause Elo will/should pit us against many of the same lvl players over and over again. :D

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 18 November 2013 - 05:40 AM.

#237 VikingN1nja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 607 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:47 AM

If community warfare is implemented correctly it might make this game very good!

Edited by omegaorgun, 18 November 2013 - 05:48 AM.

#238 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:51 AM

View Postomegaorgun, on 18 November 2013 - 05:47 AM, said:

If community warfare is implemented correctly it might make this game very good!

If Community Warfare is Implemented perfectly, There will be a mass outbreak of crying cause it does not cater to ME!!!! ;)

#239 NuclearPanda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • LocationUpstate NY

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:53 AM

Posted Image

I just wanted to stop in in here to say hello. Many of you I recognize from my usually pug dropping, and I hope that many of you continue to stay.

Don't make me a sad panda that has no one to kill! ;)

#240 Ridersofdoom

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 201 posts

Posted 18 November 2013 - 05:54 AM

we have another choice , medieval mechs ;) .

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users