Ask The Devs 8!

111 replies to this topic

#41 Nairdowell

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 193 posts
  • LocationDeep in my hidden lab, atop a mountain, somewhere in the backwoods of Tennessee, USA

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:15 PM

Thanks for all the hard work! REALLY looking forward to playing in the open beta and beyond (updated my computer after applying for closed beta - oh well)...

1. Most water in the movies so far appear to be knee high (please correct me if wrong). Will there be any deep rivers, lakes and such? Will the water provide partial cover, extra heat disipation, or even allow for underwater combat (like in TT)? Allow for underwater travel and surprise attacks?

2. Will weather and world maps add/subtract heat (such as desert/volcanic vs frozen/ice worlds)?

3. Most rocks and such in the screenshots and intros (not reboot) all appear to be big enough to hide completely behind. Will there also be ridgelines and boulders that will also allow partial cover (protect lower half and allow firing above)?

4. Commanders can call in arty (assume off board) and Aerospace support. How many times per match and can the Aerospace be shot down or the arty counter-batteried by the other commander?

5. In DFA, if a mech is already above another (jumped up onto the rocks) and then does DFA, will the damage be greater (to both mechs)?

Most of the others have been asked/answered previously... again, thanks for the great job done so far!

Edited by Nairdowell, 22 June 2012 - 03:18 PM.

#42 Vyviel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 458 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:16 PM

Can the mechs reactor overload and go critical taking out any nearby mechs or damaging them heavily.

That being said will you implement a self destruct button for those moments when the battle is lost and you might as well go out with a bang =)

#43 WardenWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,684 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:53 PM

View PostAmerante, on 22 June 2012 - 02:30 PM, said:

Will there be a starter mech? (for those who aren't familiar with the title, just hop in and start playing without facing the problem of decision making about something they know nothing about.)

This has been answered. Just like folks who went for the Elite founders pack, new players will get to choose from a Jenner, Hunchback, Catapult, or Atlas when they start the game. They should choose based on their desired role (scout, close-in brawler, long-range support, or combat backbone).

#44 Synra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:35 PM

This is as much a suggestion as it is a question. Have you considered tweaking the colors of weapon shots based on which version of the weapon is being fired? For example, a PPC could fire a blue shot, where as an ERPPC could fire a more greenish-blue colored shot. This would help give nearby enemy players a better understanding of what they are up against.

The same logic applies to standard lasers and ER lasers, AC and Ultra AC, etc. It makes sense to me that every weapon should have it's own unique look, even if that's a simple color change.

#45 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:28 PM

• Are SRMs going to have guidance as per canon/TT?
  • Will Flamers produce more heat in the attacking 'mech than the target as per TT, or the other way around?
  • Sensor data for targeting was relayed automatically from the IGN vids. Where does the Battlegrid come into play?
  • Will alternate ammunition like Inferno missiles be available? Will LBX be able to use standard and cluster rounds?

#46 GreatBeer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 536 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:29 PM

About how long does it take for a mech to go from the "Alex finishes the concept art" stage to the "ready for release" stage?

#47 Broddr

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:31 PM

When will more beta keys be sent out?

#48 Pando

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,456 posts
  • LocationDeep, deep inside _____.

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:37 PM

When will we see the first video of "1 day in the life of a DEV" announced?

#49 Cmdr Rad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 146 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:45 PM

1.) As per previously asked: Are bonuses given with the Elite/Legendary founders mechs, like the mech c-bill bonuses, or the fact that they don't take up garage space.... going to remain exclusive to the founders mechs? Or are you going to make these bonuses available in future mechs? Either freely, like Origin's Battlefield 3 Pre-Order Weapon Pack Bonus, or Monetized, like Shogun 2: Total War's Pre-Order Bonus?

2.) Are you going to utilize the 7.1 Surround Sound support in CryEngine 3 (advertised here)? I have a Razer Tiamat True 7.1 Headset, hence I asked... And, well, Accurate surround sound will be important to situational awareness.

3.) Will players be able to trade with eachother any of the following?: 'Mechs, 'Mech Parts, C-Bills, Vanity Items, Boosters, Whatever that Founders Pack currency ends up being (Since it hasn't been confirmed as C-Bills)? Anything else I forgot? And if so, which will be tradeable? I guess the shorter question is: Will there be some implementation of a player-run market and what will it look like, as far as you know?

Thanks!

Edited by Cmdr Rad, 22 June 2012 - 08:07 PM.

#50 Mark of Caine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 496 posts
  • LocationWazan War Veteran

Posted 22 June 2012 - 07:55 PM

View PostRashhaverak, on 22 June 2012 - 01:40 PM, said:

Q1: Will there be a retreat or surrender option, or is each match a dedicated fight to the death?

If the scout is the only one left on your team, is the scout doomed to have the other team fry the mech, or can you high tail it out of there?

Q2: What are the concequences (if any) for game dropping. I could see that someone losing a fight might drop in order to try and stop from having to pay for the mech repairs. That would stink. Still, it would equally stink if an electrical storm cut my power (like it did about ten minutes ago) and I had to pay my hard won Cbills for it.

View PostDerek Icelord, on 22 June 2012 - 01:53 PM, said:

Building on this, what will happen to the rest of the team if a player drops? From what has been revealed, it seems like every 'Mech is important. Unlike other, less sophisticated titles, being a lancemate down would be a significant disadvantage. Will there be a system in place to help a team if one of their players drops, or are they just SOL?

Building even further on the above questions, I would like to bring up the subject of griefing fellow lancemates and how you plan on curb-stomping this practice. If friendly-fire (FF) is on, what is to stop certain players from griefing others by logging into a game as a lone wolf or some such, shooting allies in the back, hitting the self-destruct near another player and then logging out to avoid punishment.

Will there be a method of logging these actions and reporting it?

Will there be steps to ensure fair play for one and all?

Perhaps even setting up a "flagging" system that can be seen by all players thereby marking said griefer as such so that others avoid playing with that griefer. This could also be seen on the pre-match screen (if there is one) much like League of Legends warning all players (especially those on the griefer's team) that this player is flagged and to either kick him out of the lance and perhaps randomly choose a new player to fill that spot.

I'm just throwing out ideas out there. Perhaps there are other measures others may think of or perhaps PG has already come up with solid methods to log and deter players to grief others. My one true goal for all of this is to ensure that no one has to experience the lewd actions of a few idiots to ruin their playing experience.

Thanks and keep up the good work.

Edited by Caine2112, 22 June 2012 - 07:56 PM.

#51 Blue Shadow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 322 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:30 PM

Will there be a Raven variant with a ballistics weapon hard-point such as the RVN-SR?

#52 Silme

• PipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 08:34 PM

It's apparent from the videos that AC rounds do have travel time and require a certain amount of lead - will they feature any actual ballistics? For example, drop due to gravity or from wind present in the weather effects?

Also, will MWO feature client-side or server-side hit detection?

#53 Jonneh

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:32 PM

Can you describe exactly (or roughly) how the progression in MWO works? IE: In WoT you unlock components for each tank and then the next tank in the tree. I gather its somewhat different in MWO. What am I progressing towards when I play? More varients? Better/different weapons to use? How does the XP unlocking system for your pilot work alongside that?

#54 chumppi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 281 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationVaasa, Finland

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:14 PM

We haven't seen a Dev Blog for a while... Writin a massive essay or just have nothing to reveal/explain before Founder Launch or going to continue them after it?

#55 Kanatta Jing

• 1,178 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:28 PM

I wanna know about the new roles and skill trees.

#56 Cerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 922 posts
  • LocationCalifornia or Japan

Posted 22 June 2012 - 11:55 PM

Can people who have multiple pc's or who upgraded since they did the beta profiler update their system info?

#57 Kobura

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 477 posts
  • LocationDeep Frozen South

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:19 AM

View PostGrits N Gravy, on 22 June 2012 - 10:17 AM, said:

Will it be possible to create custom skins for mechs?
Will there be an in game camera function to record battles?

View PostSpleenslitta, on 22 June 2012 - 10:36 AM, said:

Q1- How will pulse lasers be handled in MW:O? Rapid fire or constant/persistent beam or something else?

Q2- Some would consider the weight balance of the LRM's to be broken.
For example: It's better to take 2xLRM 5's than a single LRM 10 since you save 1 ton of weight this way.
The heat and damage potential produced by the dual LRM 5's is the same as the LRM 10.
Will you consider rebalancing this?

View Postvettie, on 22 June 2012 - 11:00 AM, said:

Realizing it is still early in the process, but the requirements (so far) call for 4gig HDD space.

Question - (roughly) how big will the actual download size be?
Question - Torrent or executable file?
Question - Going forward (after release) how will updates be handled? Say, when you log in (some sort of version checker looks at your version), you are notified and taken to the download area?

View Postkiller panzer, on 22 June 2012 - 01:17 PM, said:

with multi monitors, will we be able to use one as a HUD, and another to see telemetry, such as battlemech damage, enemy mech info, radar, weapon status, lance status, game mode specific info, ect?

View PostExAstris, on 22 June 2012 - 02:20 PM, said:

How will upgrading a mech with single heat sinks to double heat sinks be handled?

Will there just be expensive engines that give you the 10 free double heat sinks without any other loadout restrictions, or will all mech engines be single heat sinks and double heat sinks only be an optional equipment addition that can be used in conjunction with engines that have single heat sinks, or will MWO have an entirely new way to handle them?

View PostBeakieHelmet, on 22 June 2012 - 02:45 PM, said:

Is the game supporting DirectX11 or not? The recommended settings list Directx9 yet the FAQ says Directx11.

Echoing others, where's the MWO t-shirts? The mousepads? The collector's plates? The bumper stickers? The flamethrowers?

No really, shirts are a great way to get advertisement for a product, turns people into walking billboards and people pay YOU to wear them!

How does the sales of the founder's package make you feel? Does it ease worries about the future success of the title? What do these sales say about the future of the game?

When can you tell us about how the player starts the game? When is that dev blog post going down?

All these are questions I more or less echo, along...well, along with the questions unanswered from Ask The Devs 7:

What sort of features are planned to be f2p, and what type of things will be available to those who enthusiastically chuck money at every sort of FASA-sponsored Battletech development?

Will the game be more client-based, or more server-based? (Has to do with ease of cheat detection, burden being on either systems or connections, etc)

Will there be ability for MacOS users/Linux fanatics not on WINE to play?

What inputs ((and outputs)) will be configurable? (related: any news on Razr's Artemis? Looks nummy :q)

Edited by Kobura, 23 June 2012 - 01:21 AM.

#58 Flolo

• Pip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 01:49 AM

View PostKobura, on 23 June 2012 - 01:19 AM, said:

Will there be ability for MacOS users/Linux fanatics not on WINE to play?

I 2nd that. Will there be a native Linux client (should be not that hard, as the CryEngine3 is available on Linux)?

Edited by Flolo, 23 June 2012 - 01:49 AM.

#59 Besh

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,088 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:16 AM

View PostKanatta Jing, on 22 June 2012 - 11:28 PM, said:

I wanna know about the new roles and skill trees.

Am interested much in this as well. What does the current implementation of Role Warfare look like ? What will it be when CB2 starts?

Edited by Besh, 23 June 2012 - 02:16 AM.

#60 costi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 23 June 2012 - 03:29 AM

How will matchmaking work is the game? That is, how will the game ensure balance between teams in random matches? Total tonnage, Battle Value, C-bill cost, other?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users