#41 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 26 December 2015 - 05:21 PM

View PostNavid A1, on 26 December 2015 - 04:36 PM, said:

If you want to be considered an LRM boat, you need TAG (and optional BAP) and you need to be closer than 500m to your targets. You should be able to maintain locks with your TAG in strafing runs by the enemy and use Target decay module to its best, when you get behind cover again.

First thing wannabe LRM boats should understand is that holding locks means that your team should leave cover and constantly face the target. It is NEVER gonna happen. If your team possess half a brain they should not do what you ask... otherwise they will be killed.
Instead of that, ask your team to provide UAVs if they have them. it has more advantage, it is safe and everyone benefits from those.

How does a Catapult A1 mount TAG?

#42 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 26 December 2015 - 05:25 PM

View PostSorbic, on 26 December 2015 - 04:57 PM, said:

You have to understand that the combative people who strike out at you for such things also have a limited ability to think beyond what they read. Sure it should be pretty obvious that you will also be getting your own locks but they get stuck on the asking bit and CHOOSE to assume you will just sit back and let everyone else do the work. are morons, period.

FTFY.

#43 MechWarrior3671771

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 26 December 2015 - 05:25 PM

View PostLyoto Machida, on 26 December 2015 - 04:51 PM, said:

Well, if you've never asked for locks, why are you so concerned about this whole thing?

Because people keep asserting that "if you do these 10 things you won't get LRM hate"

And I keep saying that I already do those things and still see the LRM hate.

Although I do admit this topic makes me see red. So I'm off to go vulture DCs in my Raven. Take care ;)

#44 Lyoto Machida

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 05:26 PM

View PostMystere, on 26 December 2015 - 05:21 PM, said:

A Cat A1 isn't really a good LRM boat. It's not good for much these days, unfortunately.

#45 Kraftwerkedup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 504 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 05:27 PM

View PostFen Tetsudo, on 26 December 2015 - 05:12 PM, said:

That's an incredibly stupid attitude, even by your own logic.

I had a newbie bring an LRM boat into CW last week. I could have just written him off and lost an entire 85 ton mech. Instead, I found a way to make him partially effective, so he wasn't a total waste. THATS helping your team.

BTW, why aren't you bringing BAP, ECM, Adv Sensor range and UAVs? I would help you, I would let you know you are about to get flanked and blindsided by 4 heavies "but im not going to in any way encourage you being a bad player." Posted Image

Nope. Carry harder and you dont have to babysit him.

Also, let me stop you ...

BAP? Wut? Are you listening to yourself? Get blindsided?

Sir. Im Tier 1 spacerich. I have wallhack on every mech and radar derp. I have never, and will never, mount AMS or BAP. Magic Jesus Box is obviously going to be prevalent on my team, if im not personally taking one.

Im not trying to be a **** here, but....I dont think were playing the same game, at the same level quite frankly.

#46 MechWarrior3671771

• 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 26 December 2015 - 05:31 PM

View PostKraftwerkedup, on 26 December 2015 - 05:27 PM, said:

I dont think were playing the same game, at the same level quite frankly.

Agreed.

#47 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 26 December 2015 - 05:33 PM

View PostFen Tetsudo, on 26 December 2015 - 05:20 PM, said:

We disagree. I think he represents much of the mentality here and just said what most are really thinking.
It's not, though. You realize you are completely reading into things here, right? "said what most are really thinking"?

Yeah, people don't like LRM's, because ultimately they are NOT a good weapon system. They CAN be used well and effectively, but it requires a lot of skill with them and most LRM players don't understand that. But

But by far, most people won't actively avoid locking targets to spite a teammate who's running LRM's, because screwing a teammate sporting LRM's just hurts you too. Better him be less effective than he would have been with a better build but still somewhat effective rather than completely useless.

People WILL avoid holding locks, though, not because you're running an LRM boat and they hate you for some ridiculous reason, but because it's bad play to do it unless you're holding locks on halfwits who won't fire at you. VERY few players are equipped to get and hold locks from outside normal sensor range AND in mechs that can do that effectively (that is, without being seen and shot at.

Even at best, that's something that happens at the very beginning of a match at best, then everyone is stuck in and holding locks is extremely difficult at the best of times.

When you say: Hold locks please!

I've never found it irritating. In fact, I appreciate the reminder and the heads up that you have LRMs. Sure, I agree that saying "LRM 40 here" is a smarter way to do it. But when people ask me to try to "hold locks pls" I have never taken it to mean I should risk myself to get a lock.
But you SHOULD get locks all the time, just to provide doritos if nothing else. If you AREN'T targeting someone whenever you can, you are just bad (excepting targeting a focusfire target, where you may not want to target someone else as to get that lock back ASAP when possible). Pressing "R" is Rookie Lesson #1.

Thus, if you're asking people to hold locks, you're asking for more than simply targeting someone whenever they can, or you're saying they're so bad they won't be targeting people whenever they can as it is. Either way, it's obnoxious.

#48 Pjwned

• Little Helper
  • 4,731 posts
  • LocationDancing on the grave of Energy Draw LOL

Posted 26 December 2015 - 05:33 PM

Bringing LRMs doesn't absolve you of all responsibility for getting your own locks. The faster that scrubs, bads, noobs, whiners, and cowards realize this, the better it is for everybody on the team.

If you find yourself unable to do decent damage with LRMs because you can't utilize locks (whether from your teammates or yourself) then don't play with LRMs; the problem is you and not the team.

Edited by Pjwned, 26 December 2015 - 05:34 PM.

#49 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 26 December 2015 - 05:36 PM

Rocketeers never ever beg.
Ever.
Posted Image

#50 Kraftwerkedup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 504 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 05:41 PM

Alright well thats progress.

Hi, im Krafty. Im a Tier 1 Bittervet with 20k matches. Ive been addicted to minimum viability for 3 years now. Its a daily struggle.

Nice to meet you.

LRMs are bad, and you should feel bad. Were not lying to you here. I strongly suggest dropping with KCOM or TCAF, MS, or heck even Word of Lowtax.

The only time you see Lurmboats, is when theyre trolling. Theres a few stubborn Lore Hobbyists who mount a launcher here and there (and they have their area denial use, but even they have stopped since Clams are the better mechs and Clam LRMs were terrible for like, ever).

When and if theres a Lrmaggedon, we'll let you know. Then feel free to Lurm it up, and ill get you all the locks you ever wanted. So will everyone else.

But yeah im not worried about you, when I know that as long as I play at my best (which means not face timing, and not even being in a position to get a lock in the first place) im going to more than make up for you, even at your best, with an LRM mech.

A launcher or two? Thats not as terrible, but youre still pretty much on your own and need TAG. No one playing at the top of their game in a sniper or brawler, should be holding a lock on anything. Ever. If youre doing that youre bad. Youve positioned badly. Youre not peeking. You arent twisting. If I have a lock for more than a few seconds, its because the other guy did something terribly stupid, in which case I dont want you stealing my free kill, or, I did something incredibly stupid and youre frankly not my concern. Correcting my mistake is.

#51 Kraftwerkedup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 504 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 05:44 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 26 December 2015 - 05:33 PM, said:

But you SHOULD get locks all the time, just to provide doritos if nothing else. If you AREN'T targeting someone whenever you can, you are just bad

Exactly.

He just doesnt realize that to us, "when you can" is a 1-2 second window when were poking or peeking. Then were back in cover. Where if hes not a noob, he has derp, so, no more lock for you.

NO ONE should ever put their own mech into a bad position to "hold a lock".

Thats just crazy talk from noobs.

#52 MechWarrior3671771

• 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 26 December 2015 - 06:11 PM

View PostKraftwerkedup, on 26 December 2015 - 05:44 PM, said:

NO ONE should ever put their own mech into a bad position to "hold a lock".

No one is asking you to.

What's happening here is people like you distorting what the guy said so you can justify being selfish.

No one is asking you to risk your mech to hold a lock.

#53 MechWarrior3671771

• 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 26 December 2015 - 06:16 PM

View PostKraftwerkedup, on 26 December 2015 - 05:44 PM, said:

He just doesnt realize that to us, "when you can" is a 1-2 second window when were poking or peeking. Then were back in cover.

Sure... that's why I said

when I run assaults and heavies that need to poke to be effective (ie no locks) I just assume the LRM boat is not talking to me when he reminds us to hold locks. <shrug> I certainly don't get offended by the request.

And I'm really getting tired of talking to people who don't know how to read.

#54 Kraftwerkedup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 504 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 06:19 PM

So then were arguing about something that doesnt exist. There is no "person who doesnt hit R".

Because everyone is hitting R, and youre not asking anyone to do anything they arent already doing.

So you can stop asking for locks, and we'll keep doing what were doing, and everything will be ok.

I mean I always knew this, but I just think people who ask for locks are pretentious and annoying. Besides announcing "I dont know what im doing" its no different than saying 'gl hf'.

How about we all agree, not to ever talk about this topic ever again, since its just based on a fallacy (that there is someone out there not hitting R for you). Youre asking a non existent person, to do something.

That annoys some people.

Edited by Kraftwerkedup, 26 December 2015 - 06:22 PM.

#55 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 06:20 PM

View PostFen Tetsudo, on 26 December 2015 - 06:11 PM, said:

No one is asking you to.

What's happening here is people like you distorting what the guy said so you can justify being selfish.

No one is asking you to risk your mech to hold a lock.

It's a slippery slope, bro....what's to stop people from saying "Make sure you hit the enemy targets you are aiming at" or "Don't forget to not overheat in the middle of a brawl"??? This stuff all goes without saying...just like "Pls hold locks" and whatnot.

Most people that ask for locks held are USUALLY (but not always) LRM boats 990m away in the back lobbing indirect fire LRMs into terrain. Also the same guys that get smoked by lights and then complain about not having any backup or help.

#56 Zen Idiot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 143 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 06:24 PM

dumb people think that when you ask for locks you just wanna launch LRMs from cover...
smart people get locks to let the team know

where the enemy is..
what the enemy is...
if the enemy is weak anywhere...
it lets other teammates track enemies through walls so teamamtes know when to pounce..
it populates the mini-map to give you better intel..

its basically a super helpful tool... locking targets is..

#57 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,932 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 26 December 2015 - 06:28 PM

View PostMystere, on 26 December 2015 - 05:21 PM, said:

it can't... because it can do better... THE HOLY NARC!

Try quad LRM10 with 1700 missiles
and 1 NARC (with 18 ammo)
and a single JJ

and then watch your enemies run in fear..

it does have an XL 295 though

#58 Kraftwerkedup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 504 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 06:30 PM

Yeah if you dont see how any of these would be annoying to hear every game, then no ones going to help you see it from our point of view:

"Shoot the enemy!"

"Hit what youre aiming at!"

"Dont forget to twist away damage!"

"Dont shut down in the middle of a fight!"

Its like a childs toy, one of those things that wont shut up and says some annoying phrase over and over and over and over again until youre sure that having children was the worst mistake of your life....but in my video games.

IN MY VIDEO GAMES.

Please. Feel us on this. There is no mythical guy who doesnt use the R key when its the right time to use the R key. You dont have to tell people obvious and rhetorical things. Youre killing my buzz bro.

View PostNavid A1, on 26 December 2015 - 06:28 PM, said:

and then watch your enemies run in fear..

No dude, theyre chasing and murdering your team mates. They are not running from you in fear.

When I hear LRMers say stuff like this, I think about that little toaster from Fallout New Vegas, the Old World Blues DLC. Or like, a 3 foot tall Napoleon...on helium.

Edited by Kraftwerkedup, 26 December 2015 - 06:31 PM.

#59 crashlogic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 318 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 06:32 PM

Oh LRMs are bad please please pleas dont get 6 kills five assissts and do 900 damage, because you have no skill and don't belong in tier wahtever. Ohh LRMS whine whine whine......
Oh as far as getting locs, if you run lrms get your own locks, because the rest of the team is too busy playing peak and poke, or charging into the brawls and whining about how everyone else are ***** cowards who won't push.
Seriously? Stop ******* whining about lrms and locks, if you want to know why your team lost 12 -2, it probably has a lot less to do with mech builds and lot more to do with how well your team coordinated and concetrated its fire. Its piss poor carpenter who blames his tools.

#60 Kraftwerkedup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 504 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 06:32 PM

If they were afraid of your Lurmboat, they be running TOWARDS your Lurmboat...you know, where you Lurms are completely useless at the most common engagement range...yeah.

Theyre ignoring you bro.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users