#101 VonBruinwald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 04 June 2020 - 03:44 AM

View PostBrauer, on 02 June 2020 - 02:34 PM, said:

480 damage potential from a lurm boat.....

Maybe, what, 600 or 700 after ammo nodes?

I don't understand lurm boats who load up with 10+ tons of ammo when they're barely burning through half of it.

If you never run out you're carrying too much!

#102 Brauer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 04:53 AM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 04 June 2020 - 03:44 AM, said:

I don't understand lurm boats who load up with 10+ tons of ammo when they're barely burning through half of it.

If you never run out you're carrying too much!

The lurm boats that I have built for FW routinely run through like 13 tons of ammo. I'm always considering how I can add more.

In QP it's probably hard to run through quite as much ammo, but you still want well over 1k potential damage.

#103 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 04 June 2020 - 05:16 AM

View PostBrauer, on 04 June 2020 - 04:53 AM, said:

The lurm boats that I have built for FW routinely run through like 13 tons of ammo. I'm always considering how I can add more.

In QP it's probably hard to run through quite as much ammo, but you still want well over 1k potential damage.

FW is a different kettle of fish when it comes to optimised builds.

Potential damage is all good but if you can't deliver it what's the point.

#104 Brauer

• 1,066 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 05:52 AM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 04 June 2020 - 05:16 AM, said:

FW is a different kettle of fish when it comes to optimised builds.

Potential damage is all good but if you can't deliver it what's the point.

If your mech can't do more than 400-600 damage max what's the point? You might as well not drop if that's your damage cap. My ammo-light direct fire builds carry a minimum of like 1.2k potential damage, and they're far more efficient killers. I'd want a minimum of 1.2k potential damage on a lrm boat even for QP and I'd be much more comfortable with something like 1.6k to 2k.

#105 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 04 June 2020 - 07:13 AM

View PostBrauer, on 04 June 2020 - 05:52 AM, said:

If your mech can't do more than 400-600 damage max what's the point? You might as well not drop if that's your damage cap. My ammo-light direct fire builds carry a minimum of like 1.2k potential damage, and they're far more efficient killers. I'd want a minimum of 1.2k potential damage on a lrm boat even for QP and I'd be much more comfortable with something like 1.6k to 2k.

If you're using close to 1.2k of ammo there's nothing wrong with taking 1.2k of ammo. What I'm saying is if you're taking 2k worth of ammo and finishing the majority of matches with 0.8k reserve, that's tonnage that could be better spent elsewhere.

There's having spare ammo, and then there's having too much.

Edited by VonBruinwald, 04 June 2020 - 07:14 AM.

#106 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 04 June 2020 - 07:22 AM

Posted Image

#107 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 04 June 2020 - 09:05 AM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 04 June 2020 - 07:13 AM, said:

If you're using close to 1.2k of ammo there's nothing wrong with taking 1.2k of ammo. What I'm saying is if you're taking 2k worth of ammo and finishing the majority of matches with 0.8k reserve, that's tonnage that could be better spent elsewhere.

A fully skilled AWS-8R can burn through 12-13 tons, depending on how long the match takes. But that thing is SUPER quirked for cooldown.

Edited by Horseman, 04 June 2020 - 09:06 AM.

#108 Brauer

• 1,066 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 09:09 AM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 04 June 2020 - 07:13 AM, said:

There really isn't such a thing as too much ammo for a lurm boat unless you don't have enough tubes.

#109 letir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 217 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 10:46 AM

Considering spread, AMS, ECM and LoS issues, 1200 missiles is minimum for the dedicated lurmboat.

#110 N a p e s

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 04 June 2020 - 11:57 AM

Playing with a couple buddies the other day we ended with a LRM boat match. So we're just talking about the builds and he mentions that his AWS-8R has something like 4200 missiles. Holy moly that's a lot of ammo!

#111 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 04 June 2020 - 12:54 PM

One of my derp cat builds. I find it funny when people say 1k-2k lrm damage is good or average yet most only have 1-2 kills to show for it. Nice spreading there. http://<a href="https://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=12&l=8c5618b737268c85d6347e0b18ac8d1e22f5fc9a">CPLT-C116</a>

The only time I've had a lrm salvo wipe a mech out in a single salvo was the lrm 100 stalker.

#112 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 04 June 2020 - 02:45 PM

View PostBrauer, on 04 June 2020 - 09:09 AM, said:

There really isn't such a thing as too much ammo for a lurm boat unless you don't have enough tubes.

... if the match length is infinite or you're doing it in FP.
For a QP match, there is only so much lurmage you can rain until the match is over, even in optimal circumstances.

#113 Brauer

• 1,066 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 06:04 AM

View PostHorseman, on 04 June 2020 - 02:45 PM, said:

... if the match length is infinite or you're doing it in FP.
For a QP match, there is only so much lurmage you can rain until the match is over, even in optimal circumstances.

While there is a limit to how many LRMs you can fling in QP I much more often find myself running dry and wishing I had more skill to lob at the enemy than wishing a had a small laser or a couple KPH more speed. Now I don't bring my dumbest biggest ammo lurm boats to QP (Fafnir 5E, Meme Baby) either, but you certainly want at least like 1600 missiles even on a medium. IIRC even my Treb has somewhere around that many, and as you go up in tonnage the minimum ammo you want quickly goes to 2k and beyond.

Edited by Brauer, 05 June 2020 - 06:04 AM.

#114 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 06:13 AM

View PostBrauer, on 05 June 2020 - 06:04 AM, said:

While there is a limit to how many LRMs you can fling in QP I much more often find myself running dry and wishing I had more skill to lob at the enemy than wishing a had a small laser or a couple KPH more speed. Now I don't bring my dumbest biggest ammo lurm boats to QP (Fafnir 5E, Meme Baby) either, but you certainly want at least like 1600 missiles even on a medium. IIRC even my Treb has somewhere around that many, and as you go up in tonnage the minimum ammo you want quickly goes to 2k and beyond.

You are not wrong about ammo you want loads so you can take any shots you can get with out worrying about wasting ammo or just powering through AMS.

Edited by SirSmokes, 05 June 2020 - 06:14 AM.

#115 Sniper09121986

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 06:51 AM

View PostNovakaine, on 04 June 2020 - 07:22 AM, said:

Posted Image

FTFY Posted Image

#116 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 05 June 2020 - 07:25 AM

View PostSniper09121986, on 05 June 2020 - 06:51 AM, said:

Posted Image

FTFY Posted Image

#117 C H E E K I E Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 540 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 07:06 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by C H E E K I E Z, 05 June 2020 - 07:10 PM.

#118 Georgegad

• PipPipPip
  • Chu-sa
  • 98 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 07:57 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 23 May 2020 - 01:43 PM, said:

i kind of like highlanders for this jerb.

I was thinking of posting a very similar comment. my highlander is one of my favorite LRM mechs. Its main weapon is the AC20 and a few lasers. All its weapon slots are full so it punches face as well as it ever will. It also has 30 LRM and is stuffed full of ammo.
AC20 sucks because it has bad range, LRM can suck at short range, put together the mech dominates the battlefield anywhere i need to play it.
(Plus has a jumpjet, so if i ever feel the urge to stand on another mech during combat i have that option.)

I do similar with most of my LRM mechs, I load up on small pulse and MG then put in missle racks, then fill it out with ammo. I want to fight close with them but it is so easy to die when you are charging towards the enemy. If i stand back and LRM them from cover it makes them come to close range where i want them. When they get across the battlefield to me they are all beat up from LRM and I find a soft spot in their armor for lasers and Mg to kill them.

Suckers rush the LRM boat in their lights and it eats them at close range while they try to cut through its armor.

#119 Georgegad

• PipPipPip
  • Chu-sa
  • 98 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 08:11 PM

View PostJediPanther, on 04 June 2020 - 12:54 PM, said:

I find it funny when people say 1k-2k lrm damage is good or average yet most only have 1-2 kills to show for it. Nice spreading there.

They were playing for support, and trying to do the best for the team. The huge spread damage they did let your brawler find a soft spot and make a kill, assuming brawlers read their displays and can follow up on the advantage. The brawler will laugh and brag about how many kills he got while he owes a lot of it to the LRM that was hitting the enemy mech while he advanced. Brawler might get many final kills but LRM gets more KMDD.

If we feel like it LRM players can play it the other way as well because it is such a tactical weapon, if you are looking for a mech that can steal kills for you during an event try out your LRM boat. When the enemy is engaged with your brawlers rain down a steady stream of lurm and get the final point of damage for kill. Target damaged mechs all over the battlefield and scoop up all the easy kills. Feel cheap and dirty later but get the event kill now.

#120 Brauer

• 1,066 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 08:14 PM

View PostC H E E K I E Z, on 05 June 2020 - 07:06 PM, said:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users