General Consensus Of Supply Caches?

66 replies to this topic

#1 KevinZhang

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 10:59 AM

I’ve got a bunch hoarded from games and some keys left from past events. I keep hearing people throwing around the idea that PGI is on the verge of changing them but haven’t seen any solid posts or evidence. Are the changes just rumors? Or should I hold on to them for now?

#2 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:08 AM

Several month ago Russ said (during one of the town halls last summer?) that they were going to be redoing the goodie box mechanism. That was about it. Several folks have made the jump in reasoning that any redo of the mechanism will result in refunds or cash outs or some other mechanism to essentially refund a player’s unopened boxes and unused keys in lieu of the new system. But Russ’s original comment made no actual statement in this regard. So do as you will, for their is no guarantee you will get anything for them when and if the system changes. My 2 cents: I let mine build up until I am desperate for cbills, then I sell em. If the new system “refunds” them for something more than 50K cbills, so much the better. If not, oh well.

#3 Christophe Ivanov

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 385 posts
  • LocationSeattle area

Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:12 AM

9 times outta 10, I sell them. But not after I take a look at what's inside.

#4 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:12 AM

I'd open them up with the 30+ keys that I got for free during some event, but I just almost never get any caches.

#5 Lanzman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 292 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:37 AM

The only time I open a cache any more is if there's a mech in it. Otherwise it's a waste of time.

#6 N0ni

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 2,357 posts
  • LocationIn a GTR Simulator Cockpit

Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:39 AM

If you have boxes with mechs in them, those are the ones you'd want to try your luck in getting if you feel like opening boxes with the keys you have. Otherwise, i'd just keep stacking them until they're reworked since you'll be getting more than just one prize.

#7 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 02:16 PM

Are the supply caches major feature? No. So I would expect them to be reworked at quite a lot priority.

#8 Nameless King

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The King
  • The King
  • 692 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 05:55 PM

As long as you dont use your own money to open them they are fine.

#9 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 08:22 PM

Hedge your bets and just open the ones with MC/Keys in them.

I save them as I haven't needed to sell them and a number of them have mechbay chances, which I don't need right now but may in the future.

#10 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,735 posts

Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:47 PM

there are two schools of though around here about what to do with them: either use em up or wait for a refund, or burn them and win mc that way. i did the latter.

if you do burn em its important to target the caches with the 50mc prize as you stand a good chance of winning those (at least if your goal is to get mc). i dont expect the refund to be greater than face value and sure enough when i burned all the keys i came out ahead of what the potential refund would have been. however ymmv.

Edited by LordNothing, 08 January 2018 - 11:48 PM.

#11 Steelmesh

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 57 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:25 AM

For me, the supply caches are mostly fool's gold.

I open them only with event-got keys, and don't spend much MC on them..

This might change if they rework them as they promised, but PGI promises many things.. and delivers few..

#12 Black Ivan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:54 AM

Waste of money. I sell them most of the time

#13 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 10:42 AM

If I have free keys, I open ones that contain 3 keys or a good amount of MC.

Otherwise, I sell them.

#14 process

• Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 11:34 AM

Second worst use of MC, next to GXP conversions.

#15 Shiroi Tsuki

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,205 posts
  • LocationCosplaying Ruby from Rwby in Aiur, Auckland, GA America, Interior Union, Mar Sara and Remnant

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:54 PM

A gimmick. I don't bother opening one unless one of the commons is MC, in which case, free MC.

#16 Ensaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 831 posts
  • LocationOn a frozen rock .....

Posted 09 January 2018 - 01:44 PM

I open mine. All of them. Reason? 90% of the time, I get an item that if I DONT want it, sells for more then the sale price of the box itself, which is 50k. Most items you can get sell for 50k or better, including engines, which are in the millions.

I've opened about 35 boxes so far, no regrets.

#17 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 03:39 PM

I thought they were a dumb idea when they first mentioned them, and even worse idea when they announced how they were implementing them.

#18 slide

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,768 posts
  • LocationKersbrook South Australia

Posted 09 January 2018 - 05:26 PM

I think the redo the OP is referring to is when they replaced some of the prizes when the new skill tree came out. They removed modules and replaced them with paint, warhorns and other cosmetic stuff.

Edited by slide, 09 January 2018 - 05:26 PM.

#19 Lucifaust

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 116 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 10 January 2018 - 01:42 AM

I must have 200 of them...never open because no keys, and I don't like to gamble

#20 Daggett

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:10 AM

View PostKevinZhang, on 08 January 2018 - 10:59 AM, said:

I’ve got a bunch hoarded from games and some keys left from past events. I keep hearing people throwing around the idea that PGI is on the verge of changing them but haven’t seen any solid posts or evidence. Are the changes just rumors? Or should I hold on to them for now?

Here is the solid post you are looking for:
https://mwomercs.com...ber-and-beyond/

"Also currently planned to release alongside Solaris, the current Supply Cache system will be undergoing significant revisions aimed at making the Caches more accessible and more rewarding.

Rather than viewing the contents of each Cache prior to opening, and then receiving only one of the included items, the new system is geared at providing you with all the items within the Cache but without the ability to see its contents prior to opening.

We will also be phasing out the Supply Cache Key system altogether; if you have a Cache in your inventory you'll simply be able to open it and get the goods, with no key or additional requirement needed.

You can expect more details regarding the new Cache system, along with details regarding the transition from the existing Cache and Key system to the new Supply Cache system, as we near its release next year."

Basically the most logical approach boils down to this:
Unless you are in dire need of cbills (the only thing you will get reliably from caches) don't open or sell them yet. You can do this at any time, why not wait until we get more information about the mentioned transition?

Since they refunded free mc-consumables gained by events with their full mc-value upon introducing the skill-tree, chances are very high they will do this with cache keys as well. Maybe they even transition your old caches to the new (maybe better) system?

Sure you can gamble on getting more mc out of the boxes by opening the good ones, but you can still do this at any time. No need to take action before having the most possible information. Posted Image

View PostLanzman, on 08 January 2018 - 11:37 AM, said:

The only time I open a cache any more is if there's a mech in it. Otherwise it's a waste of time.

View PostN0ni, on 08 January 2018 - 11:39 AM, said:

If you have boxes with mechs in them, those are the ones you'd want to try your luck

I disagree. Mechs are basically just cbills (though quite a lot) with a mechbay attached. The 500mc and 1000mc prizes are MUCH more valuable because they allow you to buy things you can't get by pure free playing like hero mechs. Cbills however will amass like crazy once you gained enough experience in the game. Not to mention that hero mechs are cbill-generators.

A hero-mech you like financed through cache-mc winnings will bring in multiples of what a chache-mech is worth over time. So if you want to open caches for value my advice is to open the mc-ones, not those with the mech.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users