• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 03 March 2018 - 04:03 PM

View PostImperius, on 03 March 2018 - 12:51 PM, said:

8 v 8 crusade?

It was already put down by the great caliph. Posted Image

Edited by Mystere, 03 March 2018 - 04:04 PM.

#82 PocketYoda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,137 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 March 2018 - 04:16 PM

Every game that i've played that tries to push esports becomes a failure, Esports games just became esport games through sheer luck..

Companies like this that try to force it fail miserably.

#83 InvictusLee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,693 posts
  • LocationStanding atop my MKII's missile pack, having a whisky and a cigar.

Posted 03 March 2018 - 04:40 PM

Russ is just making excuses for not tasking a team to work on it.
Last i saw, there was massive support for 8v8.

What metric did he use?
Where is he pollling from?
Ill believe his excuses when i see where he's coming from via some sort of transperency.
Either fess up to a lies that CYA or provide factual data analysis.
I want spreadsheets abd piecharts dammit!

#84 Imperius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 03 March 2018 - 04:52 PM

View PostMystere, on 03 March 2018 - 04:03 PM, said:

It was already put down by the great caliph. Posted Image

No games are coming out for awhile. I’m really thinking about a comeback!

There is no to very little development time for switching to 8 v 8. Pretty sure it’s just changing the value in matchmaker script from 12 to 8 or 24 to 16. Of course this is if programming was done correctly to allow changes to the system if need be. Seeing as comp as 8 v 8, I doubt it’s much work.

#85 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 05:01 PM

View PostKageru Ikazuchi, on 02 March 2018 - 07:06 PM, said:

Per Russ in the Mar. 2nd production update on twitch, shifting Quick Play back from 12v12 to 8v8 didn't get enough response to warrant any development.

In the hours where the population is low, wait times in Quick Play group queue (sometimes in solo queue) are horrendous. Adjusting back to 8v8 would help alleviate this, right?

Discuss.

Russ Bullock has shown an astonishing talent for doing whatever he prefers, regardless of whether the community would benefit or not.

What would have been aces is putting a 12v12 (non-respawn) mode into Factional Play, making QP 8v8, and thereby not only making FP more attractive for "big battles", but pulling some of the pressure off the MM for QP.

Edit: And a 8v8 MM would have been beyond trivial to implement. This isn't rocket science, nor does it delve anywhere into new coding, merely reverting a number from "spawn 12" to "spawn 8".

Edited by Brain Cancer, 03 March 2018 - 05:02 PM.

#86 VitriolicViolet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 592 posts
  • LocationAustralia, Melbourne

Posted 03 March 2018 - 05:09 PM

id be willing to try a test server for 8v8 but i think if we went back now it would basically be identical just with 4 less players.
Consider how damn entrenched the current play is. Stack as many big mechs as possible, deathblob to wherever the person out the front is heading or go to 1 or 2 points on each map where fighting happens. Also 8v8 had alphas that struggled to hit 50 let alone the 70+ ones we have now., along with more armor, more ammo, and of course 3 years of powercreep

Its possible but the current psychology of the player base will likely keep the gameplay very similiar to 12v12. It should be put on test server so we can see.

#87 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 05:12 PM

View PostNovember11th, on 03 March 2018 - 04:40 PM, said:

Russ is just making excuses for not tasking a team to work on it.
Last i saw, there was massive support for 8v8.

12v12 means less server shards than 8v8

thats the whole reason they went to 12v12 in the first place

nobody wanted it even back then. PGI forced it on us to lower their server costs.

#88 Scyther

• 1,271 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

Posted 03 March 2018 - 05:17 PM

Back when we only had 8v8 to play, and mostly smaller maps, the primary issues that I recall were that

-Every map played out the same because everyone ran to the same areas to fight in (essentially what we have now)

-1 or 2 AFK/griefer/trunoob players, or more rarely, 1 or 2 very good players, on a team were enough to heavily unbalance the match, to the point were total roflstomps were even more common than they are today.

As VitriolicViolet says, the first point would likely remain much the same as it is now. The 2nd point is my primary reason for thinking it should not move to only 8v8 but should have a mix a 8s and 12s with some MM algorithm choosing when each is appropriate.

#89 Kamikaze Viking

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationStay on Topic... STAY ON TOPIC!!!

Posted 03 March 2018 - 05:30 PM

My 2 Cents

8v8 is not about match quality for me. Its about waiting times to get games.

Sitting in a 12 man queue (for solo or group) for 20+ minutes makes me want to play other games.

So if 8v8 gets me a game more often, then this is 'better match quality' than sitting in a queue not getting games at all. (this is more likely an AP Primetime problem that NA people do not notice)

My Preference would be for 12v12 unless there are not enough players in queue and then fall back to 8v8. (or as others have said 8v8 for group queue and 12v12 for solo queue, seems ok)

#90 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,820 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 05:39 PM

i think i would go with dynamic team size. where on off-peak hours drops can be 8 players. mm would prioritize small group size over opening the flood gates.

#91 Palor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 372 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationManitowoc WI

Posted 03 March 2018 - 06:15 PM

I didn't care if the game went back to 8v8, I have played it in 8v8 and 12v12, and don't really prefer either one.

#92 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 06:24 PM

i personally would like to go back to 8v8 for Solo and Group Que,
it would offer more Variety to MWO,

#93 JadePanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 967 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 06:27 PM

View PostSigmar Sich, on 02 March 2018 - 08:46 PM, said:

On the bright side, this could mean population problem is not dire enough to reduce QP team size..

did it ever have to grow in the first place?

#94 Sigmar Sich

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationUkraine, Kyiv

Posted 03 March 2018 - 06:39 PM

View PostJadePanther, on 03 March 2018 - 06:27 PM, said:

did it ever have to grow in the first place?

PGI gonna PGI

Posted Image

#95 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 06:45 PM

Andi you ready to be a full time moderator again?

#96 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 06:45 PM

View PostSigmar Sich, on 02 March 2018 - 08:46 PM, said:

On the bright side, this could mean population problem is not dire enough to reduce QP team size..

No, the population problem is dire enough that they're going to kill FP for a full month-6 weeks when Solaris starts.

You know, the most population-required mode in the game.

#97 Sigmar Sich

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationUkraine, Kyiv

Posted 03 March 2018 - 06:52 PM

View PostBrain Cancer, on 03 March 2018 - 06:45 PM, said:

No, the population problem is dire enough that they're going to kill FP for a full month-6 weeks when Solaris starts.

1) it was said 2-4 weeks, not 4-6. What a gossip.
2) Russ twitted he will "strongly consider" to not do this.

As for reasons, i believe he just didn't want new players, coming with Solaris, be discouraged by bad CW experience.

#98 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 06:53 PM

View PostBrain Cancer, on 03 March 2018 - 06:45 PM, said:

But you can "duct tape" "junk" to your mech it will be so worth it! You know the stuff that used to come with buying a mech pack!

#99 Brain Cancer

• The 1 Percent
  • 3,851 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 07:00 PM

View PostSigmar Sich, on 03 March 2018 - 06:52 PM, said:

As for reasons, i believe he just didn't want new players, coming with Solaris, be discouraged by bad CW experience.

Only for weeks. Maybe a month. When you're afraid that CW will be a "bad experience".

Is FP that big of a stinking trash fire now that we're afraid part of the game will drive people away from the rest?

#100 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 07:02 PM

View PostSigmar Sich, on 03 March 2018 - 06:52 PM, said:

If PGI really cared about the new user experience we never would have got skill tree crap and negated all the work put into trying to teach people how to not suck in the game.

Single player is what games came standard with and multiplayer was always an afterthought. Single player is what taught people how to play a game at their own pace without the toxic online community.

This game has always been 100% backwards in how it should have been executed and going with CryEngine because at the time it was free was the biggest mistake.

Unreal would have been a better investment because of how many years it's been around. Also you can find people who can work with unreal. Good luck finding people for CryEngine.

You want MWO to last? You should have said you were going to move it to Unreal. I'm holding out for MW5 now. I really want the Blood Asp, Fafnir, and maybe a few others.

I do not want to spend any more money on anything that will vanish soon. If I knew MWO was going to get ported over to Unreal I'd still be giving them money.

Oh well...

I mean we still don't even have proper colorblind support. The paper doll is 100% useless to me!

Edited by Imperius, 03 March 2018 - 07:04 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users