Hellebore Outpost First Impressions

165 replies to this topic

#41 Kanil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 15 December 2021 - 07:40 PM

So like on the north spawn, there's one spawn point (in beta lance, I think) where you spawn facing the middle of the map, with a cliff you can't walk up on your right, and your lancemate who doesn't realize the game's started on your left, and not enough room to go through the middle of the two.

So you either have to wait for your teammate to find their W key, or you have to stop, back up, and walk around them which is a huge waste of time.

It's an incredibly trivial complaint, but it's already happened to me three times and I'm a little salty about it.

(The map's quite nice otherwise. <3 )

#42 Mr Nice Mech

• PipPipPip
  • The Bolt
  • The Bolt
  • 86 posts

Posted 15 December 2021 - 08:03 PM

Mechs in this game do not have the pitch to aim up and down some of these heights. Viridian Bog solved this by giving wide fields to fire from, both on the heights and down in the valley. This one needs some rework and cleaning up.

#43 Valdarion Silarius

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,671 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 15 December 2021 - 10:15 PM

My only critique is more natural terrain cover for long range builds on ridges and such. Seems like the map favors jj stacked faster mechs. Also it's a pain in the *** trying to regroup with your team if you fall off the mid rings into the valley below. Other than that so far so good.

#44 Meep Meep

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,722 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 15 December 2021 - 10:26 PM

The valley traps really are traps because they are way too tall for anything but a max jj mech to get up and even then there will be places they can't get up. But there isn't a square foot of terrain that is flat and the entire map is like canyon network only vertically stretched. Tons of small snipe spots for parkour minded jj lights and lots of ramps and lanes to cross the map past the valley traps. I thought it would be bad for slower larger mechs but there are enough lanes to get around where you need to go. The map does need another pass or two for graphical terrain glitches like floating vegetation and trees that are solid to your mech but will pass weapons fire like its not there. The center compound looks particularly rushed and out of a quake II map. But other than that its a good brawly map that caters to a lot of play styles unless you like to sling lrm. Bad map for that.

#45 Bowelhacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 922 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 15 December 2021 - 11:47 PM

Is this map going to show up in faction matches?

#46 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,368 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 16 December 2021 - 01:43 AM

Believe it or not, MWO/Cauldron had already noticably improved the Torso Pitch for all mechs (especially Assaults) recently, in the May & June 2021 MWO/Cauldron patches.

https://mwomercs.com...42410-18may2021

https://mwomercs.com...2420-22june2021

https://mwomercs.com...obility-changes

https://mwomercs.com...auldron-changes

View PostMechaGnome, on 16 December 2021 - 12:04 AM, said:

My only complaint is fix the issue with Assault mechs not able to look up and down like they could years ago.. This needs fixing immediately and it did when they changed it.

#47 klozz

• Pip
  • The Aggressor
  • The Aggressor
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 01:53 AM

I have lots of artifacts on this map
Posted ImagePosted Image

#48 Scythe Kagato

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 110 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 03:41 AM

MInimap - if you're going to insist on having a light-yellow circle for the Domination boundary, then don't have a mini-map dominated by the same light yellow. SIMPLIFY the mini-map, like it used to be. It's a terrain guide, not a real-time visual satellite feed.

p.s. it's a brighter Caustic Valley. Delete it, too.

Edited by Scythe Kagato, 16 December 2021 - 04:07 AM.

#49 Abisha

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 07:45 AM

after around 10 matches i think it really matters where you being employed
this is always a issue with this kind of maps

if you are being deployed south of the map you in a lot better possession then north of the map

#50 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,472 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 16 December 2021 - 07:55 AM

I like it a lot, much better than the revamps of polar and canyon.

It's pretty, feels like a place (rather than a paintball course), and offers something new to the game with all the different elevation.

A couple more maps of this caliber and undo the changes to some of the old maps, at least polar.

#51 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,577 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 07:59 AM

View PostSjorpha, on 16 December 2021 - 07:55 AM, said:

A couple more maps of this caliber and undo the changes to some of the old maps, at least polar.

I think that even better would be keeping all maps in rotation.

Let the players decide what map they would like to play on. This is what the map voting system is for.

#52 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,743 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 16 December 2021 - 08:28 AM

View Postmartian, on 16 December 2021 - 07:59 AM, said:

I think that even better would be keeping all maps in rotation.

Let the players decide what map they would like to play on. This is what the map voting system is for.

Except the map voting system is lackluster at best. How many drops have you had where your choice of four boils down to one map plus or minus snow?

#53 Mark Yore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Deadset Legend
  • Deadset Legend
  • 215 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 08:40 AM

This is the second map where the minimap for the objective in Domination is really difficult to see.

Most of the suggestions so far have been to recolour the circle. I'd like to suggest another possibility - change all of the minimaps to greyscale. Making the minimaps match the terrain colour isn't essential to gameplay so having strategic points stand out makes it easier to identify.

#54 Mark Yore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Deadset Legend
  • Deadset Legend
  • 215 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 08:44 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 16 December 2021 - 08:28 AM, said:

Except the map voting system is lackluster at best. How many drops have you had where your choice of four boils down to one map plus or minus snow?

If I were doing it from scratch I'd throw up a random map and then give players a minute to select a mech (or go with their current default). The the matchmaking system has an easier job filtering the mechs into teams.

That would also mean that every map should be equally likely to appear in rotation.

#55 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,577 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 08:58 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 16 December 2021 - 08:28 AM, said:

It is still better than no voting at all.

This way I have the opportunity to bring forward the map that I really want to play on (even if I have to bank 10-12 votes Posted Image ) or vote against a map that I really do not want to play.

View PostMark Yore, on 16 December 2021 - 08:44 AM, said:

If I were doing it from scratch I'd throw up a random map and then give players a minute to select a mech (or go with their current default). The the matchmaking system has an easier job filtering the mechs into teams.

That would also mean that every map should be equally likely to appear in rotation.

Your suggestion would give a really immense advantage to players with a really broad selection of 'Mechs against poor players who own only a limited number of 'Mechs:
  • Imagine that the chosen map is Terra Therma: A rich player will deploy in the coldest-running 'Mech he has, a poor player in some average (or hot-running) 'Mech because he has nothing better.
  • Imagine that the chosen map is Alpine Peaks: A rich player will deploy in Assault Clan ER PPC boat, a poor player in some medium range mixed weapons 'Mech because he has nothing better.

#56 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,682 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 16 December 2021 - 09:00 AM

View Postmartian, on 16 December 2021 - 08:58 AM, said:

It is still better than no voting at all.

This way I have the opportunity to bring forward the map that I really want to play on (even if I have to bank 10-12 votes Posted Image ) or vote against a map that I really do not want to play.

Your suggestion would give a really immense advantage to players with a really broad selection of 'Mechs against poor players who own only a limited number of 'Mechs:
  • Imagine that the chosen map is Terra Therma: A rich player will deploy in the coldest-running 'Mech he has, a poor player in some average (or hot-running) 'Mech because he has nothing better.
  • Imagine that the chosen map is Alpine Peaks: A rich player will deploy in Assault Clan ER PPC boat, a poor player in some medium range mixed weapons 'Mech because he has nothing better.

With the amount of free mechs and easy cbills people are offered, this is not a justification for not adding a pre-match lobby, and cadet offerings can be adjusted to provide a drop deck over a single mech, which would mitigate that issue greatly too.

#57 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,743 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 16 December 2021 - 09:19 AM

Right, since FP is dead, making a drop deck and then choosing one of the 4 mechs in it after you know the map you're on would be a good use for drop decks. And everyone gets a drop deck for free, putting 4 slightly different mechs in it totalling 260 tons (or whatever) would be fine. Even if that drop deck consists of 2 mechs you like plus 2 mechs you'll never choose anyway, you wouldn't be stuck dropping LRMs on Solaris City.

#58 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,368 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 16 December 2021 - 09:31 AM

Faction Play (FP) is quite active on North American evenings ;)

European evenings is FP ok too!

#59 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,577 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 09:32 AM

View Postpbiggz, on 16 December 2021 - 09:00 AM, said:

With the amount of free mechs and easy cbills people are offered, this is not a justification for not adding a pre-match lobby, and cadet offerings can be adjusted to provide a drop deck over a single mech, which would mitigate that issue greatly too.

Not everybody has the time or opportunity to complete those free 'Mechs events.

The best place for your request for dropecks in QP is here: Feature Suggestions
If you want to discuss your QP dropdecks idea, start a new dedicated thread in that section.

"This" thead discusses the new Hellebore Outpost map.

#60 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,577 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 09:49 AM

View PostKanil, on 15 December 2021 - 07:40 PM, said:

So like on the north spawn, there's one spawn point (in beta lance, I think) where you spawn facing the middle of the map, with a cliff you can't walk up on your right, and your lancemate who doesn't realize the game's started on your left, and not enough room to go through the middle of the two.

So you either have to wait for your teammate to find their W key, or you have to stop, back up, and walk around them which is a huge waste of time.

It's an incredibly trivial complaint, but it's already happened to me three times and I'm a little salty about it.

(The map's quite nice otherwise. <3 )

I think that some players are unsure where to go on this new map. Posted Image

I guess that the situation will improve in the next few days.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users