Mechcommander 3

113 replies to this topic

Poll: The return of the Mechcommander series (556 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you consider buying a Mechcommander 3 game?

1. Voted Yes, if Mechcommander 3 was being made in production, I'll buy it. (544 votes [98.02%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 98.02%

2. No, I'd rather wait for Mechwarrior Tactics (11 votes [1.98%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.98%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 HDMan

• PipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 80 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:25 PM

I would LOVE to see MC3! It would be great to make in in a similar fashion as DOW 3 or COH... (Small unit tactics)

#22 Will9761

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:12 PM

I even worked on a Mech Roster based on your faction's abilities. Like in Mechcommander 2 each faction mechs has their own abilities, for example House Steiner is about firepower while Liao is about scouting, and Davion mechs are worthless because they only bring powerful clan mechs. I just wanted to extend on some of these mech rosters.

House Steiner Mechs
Commando (Light- 25 tons)
Razorback (Light - 30 tons)
Hollander (Light - 35 tons)
Hunchback (Medium - 50 tons)
Bushwacker (Medium - 55 tons)
Shootist (Heavy - 70 tons)
Zeus (Assault - 80 tons)
Highlander (Assault - 90 tons)
Hauptmann(Assualt - 95 tons)
Atlas (Assault - 100 tons)
Fafnir (Assault - 100 tons)

House Liao Mechs
Anubis (Light - 30 tons)
Raven (Light - 35 tons)
Sha Yu (Medium - 40 tons)
Vindicator (Medium - 45 tons)
Huron Warrior (Medium - 50 tons)
Men Shen (Medium - 55 tons)
Catapult (Heavy - 65 tons)
Lao Hu (Heavy - 75 tons)
Cyclops (Assault - 90 tons)
Emperor (Assualt - 90 tons)
Pillager (Assault- 100 tons)

House Davion 'Mechs
Osiris (Light - 30 tons)
Wolfhound (Light - 35 tons)
Hellspawn (Medium - 45 tons)
Enfield (Medium - 50 tons)
Argus (Heavy - 60 tons)
JagerMech (Heavy - 65 tons)
Thanatos (Heavy - 75 tons)
Victor (Assault - 80 tons)
Templar (Assault - 85 tons)
Sunder(Assault- 90 tons)
Salamander (Assualt - 100 tons)

House Kurita Mechs
Panther (Light - 35 tons)
Jenner (Light - 35 tons)
Komodo (Medium - 45 tons)
Dragon (Heavy - 60 tons)
Hatamoto-Chi (Assault - 80 tons)
Akuma (Assault - 90 tons)
Mauler (Assault - 90 tons)

House Marik Mechs
Hermes (Light 20 - tons)
Owens (Light 35 -tons)
Trebuchet (Medium -50 tons)
Yeoman (Heavy - 60 tons)
Hercules (Heavy - 70 tons)
Orion (Heavy - 75 tons)
Thug (Assault - 80 tons)
Albatross (Assault -95 tons)
Awesome (Assault -95 tons)

Clan Mechs ('Imported')
Fire Moth(Dasher) (Light - 25 tons)
Kit Fox(Uller) (Light - 30 tons)
Cougar (Light - 35 tons)
Shadow Cat (Medium - 45 tons)
Nova(Black Hawk)(Medium 50 -tons)
Stormcrow(Ryoken) (Medium - 55 tons)
Mad Dog(Vulture) (Heavy - 60 tons)
Hellbringer(Loki) (Heavy - 65 tons)
Summoner(Thor) (Heavy - 70 tons)
Timber Wolf(Mad Cat) (Heavy - 75 tons)
Gargoyle(Man O' War) (Assault - 80 tons)
Warhawk(Masakari) (Assault - 85 tons)
Mad Cat MkII (Assault - 90 tons)
Executioner(Gladiator)(Assault - 95 tons)
Dire Wolf(Daishi) (Assault - 100 tons)

Neutral Mechs
Mercury (Light -20 tons)
Urbanmech (Light - 30 tons)
Assassin (Medium - 40 tons)
Centurion (Medium - 50 tons)
Enforcer (Medium - 50 tons)
Quickdraw (Heavy - 60 tons)
Annihilator (Assault - 100 tons)

Edited by Will9761, 01 August 2012 - 11:48 AM.

#23 CCC Dober

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:58 AM

@Will
Steiner would be more like heavy/assault cavalry, whereas Davion qualifies more as light/medium cavalry. Both have their strengths, weaknesses and uses. Take a look here. Also, it is rather disturbing to read 'Davion', 'worthless' and 'Clan Mechs' in the same sentence. You may want to rewrite that particular sentence.

#24 Broug

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:17 AM

i would love it if you want it vote now :(

will thats all mechs :D

why did my brother say its cancelled :)

#25 Andromida

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:32 AM

Make a more diverse customization plate for your mechs across the board. After the entire story line for both 1 and 2, I felt that was the main lacking aspect.

#26 Mordin Ashe

• 1,505 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:40 AM

I would buy new MC, if one more would be made and launched. The thing is, this genre is to become a multiplayer only issue.
The biggest problems I had with strategies and tactical based games is their short life span. You learn how to master the game, learn the mechanics and then on you are stuck with AI, which is either cheating or difficult to beat, but still predictable. I've been playing strategies since 15 years ago and all games ended up like this. You need challenges to make the game fun, and mods and player customizations don't work indefinitely. Soon, the game has nothing more to offer to you. That is why MW Tactics should be a success, you still need to learn the mechanics, you still need to master the game, but there simply won't be a point at which you see yourself as unbetable (unless the game has absolutely wrong game design, which probably won't happen). I see this as a way to go, since it provides all benefits of good SP strategy, but doesn't have the setback of repetitivness due to changing oponents and the need of adaptation.

#27 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,550 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:13 PM

View PostCCC Dober, on 31 July 2012 - 12:58 AM, said:

@Will
Steiner would be more like heavy/assault cavalry, whereas Davion qualifies more as light/medium cavalry. Both have their strengths, weaknesses and uses. Take a look here. Also, it is rather disturbing to read 'Davion', 'worthless' and 'Clan Mechs' in the same sentence. You may want to rewrite that particular sentence.

I meant that the Davion Mech Roster felt worthless becasue they only have 3 Mechs: the Wolfhound, Enfield, and the JagerMech. I have nothing wrong with a light/medium calvarly, but the Davion Roster could have been expanded more by adding their own mechs instead of relying on Clan Mechs.

Edited by Will9761, 31 July 2012 - 12:15 PM.

#28 3clipse

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:29 PM

The original Mechcommander was one of my favorite games ever. The only real issue I had with it at the time was that the limited color palette made it impossible to do a proper fog of war so once you scouted an area it was forever clear. I don't see that being an issue these days. :P

It would be awesome to have a turn based, play by email mode to simulate the board game in a new Mechcommander game.

#29 CCC Dober

• 1,881 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:25 AM

View PostWill9761, on 31 July 2012 - 12:13 PM, said:

I meant that the Davion Mech Roster felt worthless becasue they only have 3 Mechs: the Wolfhound, Enfield, and the JagerMech. I have nothing wrong with a light/medium calvarly, but the Davion Roster could have been expanded more by adding their own mechs instead of relying on Clan Mechs.

Would have taken more game development time and resources without a doubt. Given the way Davion got favored in the novels, I wasn't really surprised about early access to Clan Mechs. Whether the decision to expand the selection with Clan Mechs was influenced by the background or the economical reality of game development is anyone's guess. Could have been a bit of both, who knows.

#30 BigJim

• 1,458 posts
  • LocationChesterfield, England

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:07 AM

View PostEvangelionUnit, on 30 July 2012 - 10:37 AM, said:

funny that you mention that, there was an awesome game called Battlezone 2 ...

Never heard of it tbh, and I certainly never modded it - But a quick Google shows it was a 1999, Tony Blair era game so I guess people were thinking along those lines over a decade ago.

However, the point I was making was *not* one of a mix of RTS/FPS being a unique "thing", but one of modding an engine strictly designed for FPS games to emulate an RTS being easy to do.

Edited by BigJim, 01 August 2012 - 05:08 AM.

#31 Yurik17

• 2,261 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:18 AM

MechCommander online, based on MechWarrior online, with real pilots.... Just little fantasy :wub:

#32 DeathDealer 6

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 58 posts
  • LocationCO, USA

Posted 01 August 2012 - 05:43 AM

I would definitely buy a MC3. Have MC2 installed on the computer right now and just ran the Gulag mission a couple days ago.

One problem that I'd like to see fixed with the series is the re-playability issue,if you've played the game once, you know what all the maps are like. You know where to go for all the best advantages (ie: where the bases weak spots are, how to avoid the mines in certain maps, where easily captured resources are) and I always have found that doing the same missions over and over gets really old. I agree that the missions should be faction based so that if your attacking a certain factions base one time then the next time you play the game you might be defending it. It help the re-playability issue a lot. Either that or maybe a random map and mission generator based on the actual Inner Sphere planets within a certain point of the timeline would be awesome which could be possible with today's tech.

I would also like to see the weather effects affect things a little more. All the weather effects in MC pretty much never effected anything, just seemed to pretty much be mood lighting.

I think the character AI's and movement system for your pilots could also use a re-vamp. After all your Mech pilots supposedly know how to pilot a Mech but then why do you have to tell them to do every little thing? I think Microsoft missed a possibly fascinating feature there. You have a variation of Mech pilots, so why not have them act in different ways, including maybe going "off the reservation" during a mission?

All in all, for a series that was supposed to be like table top without the endless dice rolling I think there were some significant issues that would need to be fixed before there was a Mechcommander 3.

Edited by DeathDealer 6, 01 August 2012 - 05:44 AM.

#33 Elessar

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,100 posts
  • LocationHesperus II

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:08 AM

As we´re talking about improving the series with regards to replayability ...
I would like something similar to the system in, I think, Mechwarrior 1....
your unit is a mercenary unit and, aside from the scripted missions to follow the storyline, can also do a lot of side contracts,
which are determined via RNG (following some rulesets) and also offer random maps and enemies (with the rewards for your unit being determined accordng to your unit rating and your skill in haggling, similar to the rules outlined in the BT mercenary handbook)

#34 Tesfurdo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • LocationBlackpool UK

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:26 AM

For me it would have to be a "jump in" feature... even if the graphics degraded to mech 4 era standard it would still be playable and would give a choice in style of play.

Tho if they graphically overhauled mc2 I'd pay £15-30 or so for it... depending on how much time they spent on it. And that would be without any changes to the games mechanics... which they could easily polish!

#35 Melcyna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 674 posts
  • LocationYuri Paradise

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:41 AM

View PostYurik17, on 01 August 2012 - 05:18 AM, said:

MechCommander online, based on MechWarrior online, with real pilots.... Just little fantasy <_<

Impossible to do effectively not because of tech limitation but because it's extremely difficult to make a mainstream game (even as niche as BT already is, it's still MAINSTREAM comparatively to say Arma) that can get the players made of random players to follow orders.

human players are always a wild card, so unless you design the system taking into account the VERY HIGH probability of them not following orders, then it's not gonna go anywhere...

#36 Zera Mikalev

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 18 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:42 AM

I would say the things that would make MC3 golden in my book

- better AI
- choice of what House you wanted to play to include merc or clan as well
- full separate campaigns for each choice
- a world with separate mission paths, forcing you to choose the next direction of your attack / defense, and also affecting the outcome... (ie.. failure to save critical personnel on mission X could drastically affect the outcome or direction of mission Y
- and then to top it all off, maybe some multiplayer action, probably co-op....

Just my 2 cents

#37 Theodor Kling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:44 AM

View PostMordin Ashe, on 31 July 2012 - 01:40 AM, said:

You need challenges to make the game fun, and mods and player customizations don't work indefinitely.

Well although not indefinetly , modding can get a loooong way to keep a game alive. The first examples that come to my mind are Jagged Alliance 2 and Civ IV.

But aside from that : I definetly want a MC3, and the already suggested Total War aproach to the BT universe woudl be even better <_<
Invading a planet and depending on the garrison and the attacking force fighting witth just a lance + some infantry, or way more up to whole RCTs clashing.... aaah a man can dream :)

#38 Tesfurdo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts
  • LocationBlackpool UK

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:17 AM

View PostTheodor Kling, on 01 August 2012 - 06:44 AM, said:

But aside from that : I definetly want a MC3, and the already suggested Total War aproach to the BT universe woudl be even better <_<
Invading a planet and depending on the garrison and the attacking force fighting witth just a lance + some infantry, or way more up to whole RCTs clashing.... aaah a man can dream :)

That would be SICK!!!!!! :)

Edited by Tesfurdo, 01 August 2012 - 07:18 AM.

#39 Vultz

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationHalifax, NS, Canada

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:37 AM

MC 3 would be awesome! Makes me wanna replay MC 1 & 2 now...

#40 Braedin

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:37 AM

View PostWill9761, on 30 July 2012 - 08:12 PM, said:

I even worked on a Mech Roster based on your faction's abilities. Like in Mechcommander 2 each faction mechs has their own abilities, for example House Steiner is about firepower while Liao is about scouting, and Davion mechs are worthless because they only bring powerful clan mechs. I just wanted to extend on some of these mech rosters.

House Steiner Mechs
Commando (Light- 25 tons)
Razorback (Light - 30 tons)
Hollander (Light - 35 tons)
Hunchback (Medium - 50 tons)
Bushwacker (Medium - 55 tons)
Shootist (Heavy - 70 tons)
Zeus (Assault - 80 tons)
Highlander (Assault - 90 tons)
Hauptmann(Assualt - 95 tons)
Atlas (Assault - 100 tons)
Fafnir (Assault - 100 tons)

House Liao Mechs
Anubis (Light - 30 tons)
Raven (Light - 35 tons)
Sha Yu (Medium - 40 tons)
Vindicator (Medium - 45 tons)
Huron Warrior (Medium - 50 tons)
Men Shen (Medium - 55 tons)
Catapult (Heavy - 65 tons)
Lao Hu (Heavy - 75 tons)
Cyclops (Assault - 90 tons)
Emperor (Assualt - 90 tons)
Pillager (Assault- 100 tons)

House Davion 'Mechs
Osiris (Light - 30 tons)
Wolfhound (Light - 35 tons)
Hellspawn (Medium - 45 tons)
Enfield (Medium - 50 tons)
Argus (Heavy - 60 tons)
JagerMech (Heavy - 65 tons)
Thanatos (Heavy - 75 tons)
Templar (Assault - 85 tons)
Sunder(Assault- 90 tons)
Salamander (Assualt - 100 tons)

House Kurita Mechs
Panther (Light - 35 tons)
Jenner (Light - 35 tons)
Komodo (Medium - 45 tons)
Dragon (Heavy - 60 tons)
Hatamoto-Chi (Assault - 80 tons)
Akuma (Assault - 90 tons)
Mauler (Assault - 90 tons)

House Marik Mechs
Hermes (Light 20 - tons)
Owens (Light 35 -tons)
Trebuchet (Medium -50 tons)
Yeoman (Heavy - 60 tons)
Hercules (Heavy - 70 tons)
Orion (Heavy - 75 tons)
Thug (Assault - 80 tons)
Albatross (Assault -95 tons)
Awesome (Assault -95 tons)

Clan Mechs ('Imported')
Fire Moth(Dasher) (Light - 25 tons)
Kit Fox(Uller) (Light - 30 tons)
Cougar (Light - 35 tons)
Shadow Cat (Medium - 45 tons)
Nova(Black Hawk)(Medium 50 -tons)
Stormcrow(Ryoken) (Medium - 55 tons)
Mad Dog(Vulture) (Heavy - 60 tons)
Hellbringer(Loki) (Heavy - 65 tons)
Summoner(Thor) (Heavy - 70 tons)
Timber Wolf(Mad Cat) (Heavy - 75 tons)
Gargoyle(Man O' War) (Assault - 80 tons)
Warhawk(Masakari) (Assault - 85 tons)
Mad Cat MkII (Assault - 90 tons)
Executioner(Gladiator)(Assault - 95 tons)
Dire Wolf(Daishi) (Assault - 100 tons)

Neutral Mechs
Mercury (Light 20 - tons)
Urbanmech (Light 30 -ton)
Assassin (Medium -40 tons)
Quickdraw (Heavy - 60 tons)
Victor (Assault - 80 tons)

you forgot the centurion and enforcer. and i do believe the victor was a house davion mech.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users