#141 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 13 May 2023 - 04:00 PM

View PostPhaneroN7, on 13 May 2023 - 10:21 AM, said:

I really want to buy the Stone Rhino, I really do, but it's pointless to buy another assault, let alone 48 kph 100 tons of assault and there is really only one reason for this once you hit tier 1: nascar.

A couple of them use an XL 400, and the rest let you use an XL 350. So your 48 kph point is invalid.

#142 Razgriz_

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 243 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 13 May 2023 - 06:35 PM

View PostPocketYoda, on 12 May 2023 - 04:09 AM, said:

$100 AUD for the ultimate... Hmm ok i will do it for great Justice.

Can't wait to see those HSL +9 quirks on the 6 variant though. I want to be able to fire my 14 pulse lasers please.

PL HSL +9 for 6 and PPC HSL +2 for the 2!
Posted Image For the glory of the (memes) Clans!!! Posted Image

#143 jjm1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 13 May 2023 - 10:22 PM

This has been a long awaited favorite.

And it looks awesome.

#144 Roodkapje

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 577 posts

Posted 14 May 2023 - 12:32 PM

View PostC337Skymaster, on 11 May 2023 - 02:47 AM, said:

What we should have is less precise aiming, and a bit more shot scatter, but it'll be a cold day in hell when our competitive overlords allow that to happen.

Mechs like the Warhawk with ER PPC and the Dire Wolf with a lot of DAKKA sometimes feel like that IMHO and can be really annoying so if you want that challenge you should check them out! Posted Image

View PostAmbidXtrousGNOME, on 11 May 2023 - 05:35 AM, said:

Sometimes trying to thread the needle shooting through terrain or shooting at a target peaking a corner and not hitting invisible walls feels like a dice roll Posted Image

I can sadly only 100% AGREE on that one!

Especially on Tourmaline... Man I hate that map! Posted Image

View PostC337Skymaster, on 11 May 2023 - 01:45 PM, said:

I mean, to me that sounds entirely like the skill system, where higher skill pilots are more likely to hit their targets, and can try to aim their shots to hit almost all the same location.

And also many who can't hit the side of a huge barn... Posted Image

Further, we are missing most of the heat mechanics that are supposed to balance weapons fire: you're supposed to check for override every time you pass a heat threshhold, but you've got a chance of beating it that gets harder as the heat goes up. Easy: delay between warning and shutdown. As the heat rises, the delay becomes shorter, until you hit what on TT is "30 excess heat" and you shut down without a chance to override. Currently, we just go straight to the top without any of the intermediate steps in between. We also are completely missing the hit to movement (which will indirectly affect aiming, so I don't think we need to manually add any heat related effects to that), although the ability to use jump jets to GTFO would need to be added if we're going to properly implement heat related mobility reduction.

I think that would not be fun to play for a lot of people to be honest...

But what I said before : Maybe this game needed some kind of "Hardcore Mode" where a lot of stuff like that would be Enabled just like all Mechs having a lot less Armor than they do or all the Weapons doing a lot more damage than they do now ?! Posted Image

But think about it: high-alpha laser vomit that is built around rising to 95% heat in one shot steps out, one-shots an Atlas' side torso from fresh, and steps back to cover. Instead, that 'mech is supposed to be nearly immobilized by that much heat, but we don't have that as a consideration. It's 100% pilot-controlled: no RNG, because you just don't let your heat get that high.

Would be good against all those ER PPC Camper Cats tho! Posted Image

And as I mentioned earlier: it always sounds like waiting on a firing solution. Or, in non-RNG game terms: convergence delay. You've gotta wait for the weapons to figure out the range to target and make the correct convergence adjustments. When we're all standing perfectly still, that fits: stationary shots are super easy. When we're all moving around, range is all over the map, and so is convergence as a result.

Ultimately, anything titled "MechWarrior" is supposed to be simulation. That got shouted down, somewhere along the way, and that was a critical mistake.

That would be like playing ArmA 1/2/3 instead of the many CoD 3/4/5/etc. games basically...

Now you guess which game has more people playing it...?? LOL! Posted Image

View PostC337Skymaster, on 12 May 2023 - 06:41 PM, said:

When I started playing this game in 2015, and saw the damage art on the outsides of 'mechs, and it seemed as though it corresponded to the exact locations that got shot, I got really excited that PGI had implemented a Finite Element mesh to register precise damage locations. This was the same time that I expected to be able to open the battle map and fire my LRMs indirectly at a map location. I was disappointed to find out I was wrong on both counts.

Pretty much the same here when it comes to the Map Button of this game back then :
- Can't see a Live Image of Mech's running around.
- Can't spot via the damn thing.
- Can't throw Artillery Strikes via the damn thing.

TL;DR : Can only play a "Meh" version of the Commander in Battlefield 2 or 3 Posted Image

That was a huge "d0h!" moment for sure back then! Posted Image

Increased granularity in targeting locations is fine by me.
I 100% agree that if you're blowing off the missile ear on a 'mech, there's no way that should take out the entire torso beneath it, unless you crit the ammo feed belt and set off a chain reaction down into the magazine.

That would be simply AMAZING instead of what we have now! Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

View PostPhaneroN7, on 13 May 2023 - 10:21 AM, said:

I really want to buy the Stone Rhino, I really do, but it's pointless to buy another assault, let alone 48 kph 100 tons of assault and there is really only one reason for this once you hit tier 1: nascar.

Hmm... are you sure it's Tire 1 related ?!

People NASCAR whatever and whenever they can or call the game a NASCAR game while it sometimes wasn't even the case so who to believe in such cases ?! Posted Image

#145 Attercop

• PipPip
  • Star Colonel V
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 May 2023 - 01:56 AM

View PostUncle Totty, on 12 May 2023 - 02:01 PM, said:

Store page Pre-Order link still not working for me.

Nor me. And to be honest I'm not sure if I want to buy one anyway.

#146 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,600 posts

Posted 15 May 2023 - 02:15 AM

View PostAttercop, on 15 May 2023 - 01:56 AM, said:

Nor me. And to be honest I'm not sure if I want to buy one anyway.

Works fine for me. Check if your browser allows pop-up windows for mwomercs.com

#147 Ch0c0L4t3m1Lk

• PipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 May 2023 - 01:36 PM

"...next brand new 'Mech chassis to MWO, the unstoppable Stone Rhino."

after the Moonwalker arm fiasco, what do you want to bet the forums will blow up on release day with angry nerds complaining someone killed them in their 'unstoppable' mech?

#148 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 May 2023 - 04:15 PM

View PostWidowmaker1981, on 13 May 2023 - 07:19 AM, said:

I assume this is a joke and you realise that this will never happen, because the 117 point alpha the inevitable 13 MPL + 2 LPL build would have would be gamebreakingly overpowered.

What can i say, i'm a power player.. i enjoy the overpowered fun of murdering lightmechs. Also you must be in knife fighting range to actually use medium pulse as an Assault..

Edited by PocketYoda, 15 May 2023 - 04:18 PM.

#149 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 15 May 2023 - 07:13 PM

View PostRoodkapje, on 14 May 2023 - 12:32 PM, said:

Mechs like the Warhawk with ER PPC and the Dire Wolf with a lot of DAKKA sometimes feel like that IMHO and can be really annoying so if you want that challenge you should check them out! Posted Image

I'll stick with my stock builds, but thanks!

View PostPocketYoda, on 15 May 2023 - 04:15 PM, said:

What can i say, i'm a power player.. i enjoy the overpowered fun of murdering lightmechs. Also you must be in knife fighting range to actually use medium pulse as an Assault..

You don't have to be as close with Clan MPL's. Further, the 'mech moves the same speed as a Kodiak, or any IS heavy with its stock engine, Nova Cat, Night Gyr, etc. If you slowed it down and stripped the arms, now you've got the tonnage to add a sizeable targeting computer, which just increases the laser range even more.Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by C337Skymaster, 15 May 2023 - 07:24 PM.

#150 ghost1e

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • 403 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationReigning World Champion

Posted 18 May 2023 - 07:07 AM

View PostC337Skymaster, on 15 May 2023 - 07:13 PM, said:

I'll stick with my stock builds, but thanks! You don't have to be as close with Clan MPL's. Further, the 'mech moves the same speed as a Kodiak, or any IS heavy with its stock engine, Nova Cat, Night Gyr, etc. If you slowed it down and stripped the arms, now you've got the tonnage to add a sizeable targeting computer, which just increases the laser range even more.Posted Image Posted Image

While you're right in saying that C-MPLs have decent range, these builds are pretty bad.
It's almost impressive how optimized they look at first glance, while being this horrendous.

#151 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 18 May 2023 - 07:57 AM

View Postghost1e, on 18 May 2023 - 07:07 AM, said:

While you're right in saying that C-MPLs have decent range, these builds are pretty bad.
It's almost impressive how optimized they look at first glance, while being this horrendous.

Well, they're almost the stock build on the 'mech that we're being asked to pay an extra $15 for, min-maxed for cooling and range. These are just examples of what everyone seems to be drooling over. It's usually easier to see in pictorial form.

MPL has a base max range of 540.
Skills add 15%
TC7 adds 10%
New max range (without quirks): 675m. New effective range: 337m

7 MPL x 7 dmg = 49 dmg per left/right burst. 98 dmg within 0.5 seconds if it gets a HSL+1 quirk so that that combo avoids ghost heat.

At 500m, fully ranged, that's 25 dmg per side, or 50 dmg within 0.5 seconds (again, assuming HSL+1). So the 'mech in question is not "limited to knife fighting range". That was the only point I was making, here.

To be fair, I don't expect a HSL+1 quirk, for the OP shenanigans that we'd wind up with, as illustrated, above. I DO expect to see this monstrosity, though:
Posted Image

Edited by C337Skymaster, 18 May 2023 - 08:18 AM.

#152 simon1812

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 541 posts

Posted 18 May 2023 - 06:20 PM

Eh better than nothing I guess...the more the better right?

I just hope there is more in the works, if building the matar didn't work for Amaris, it ain't gonna work for PGI either.

#153 Widowmaker1981

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 19 May 2023 - 11:26 AM

View PostC337Skymaster, on 18 May 2023 - 07:57 AM, said:

To be fair, I don't expect a HSL+1 quirk, for the OP shenanigans that we'd wind up with, as illustrated, above. I DO expect to see this monstrosity, though:
Posted Image

Erm, thats certainly not a build id be looking at. 2 LPL and 12 ERML? So they have to be fired in 2 groups, but you only have 2 LPL.. and a TC7? I dont personally find 6 tons for 6% range to be at all worth it. Imo TC1 at most with laser builds, unless you're trying to make some kind of extreme range build with ERLLs for FP or comp maybe.

A couple of initial builds im considering for it:

SR-6 (4 LPL 10 ERML XL375, 26 DHS) - Probably too hot and would end up with 2 of the ERMLs swapped for another DHS and a bump to 380XL.

SR-6 (6 LPL, XL350, 27 DHS, TC1, 1 JJ)

Edited by Widowmaker1981, 19 May 2023 - 11:39 AM.

#154 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 20 May 2023 - 09:33 AM

View PostWidowmaker1981, on 19 May 2023 - 11:26 AM, said:

Erm, thats certainly not a build id be looking at. 2 LPL and 12 ERML? So they have to be fired in 2 groups, but you only have 2 LPL.. and a TC7? I dont personally find 6 tons for 6% range to be at all worth it. Imo TC1 at most with laser builds, unless you're trying to make some kind of extreme range build with ERLLs for FP or comp maybe.

SR-6 (4 LPL 10 ERML XL375, 26 DHS) - Probably too hot and would end up with 2 of the ERMLs swapped for another DHS and a bump to 380XL.

First: 7 crits and 7 tons for a TC7 (so worse than you thought). Second: that gives you a 10% range boost, not just 6%. Combined with skills, that's +25%. Third, that's already 59 kph without speed tweak. I only play TT legal engine ratings, so I'm not sure where the "meta" lies, but you're not going to fit too many extra heat sinks in where that TC is, so you're gonna be either raising the engine to use up the extra tonnage, or you might go 4x LPL and fill in the rest with ERML's, and balance out the engine to fit with that.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by C337Skymaster, 20 May 2023 - 09:46 AM.

#155 Uncle Totty

• The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 1,556 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSomewhere in the ARDC (Ark-Royal Defense Cordon)

Posted 20 May 2023 - 10:32 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 15 May 2023 - 02:15 AM, said:

Works fine for me. Check if your browser allows pop-up windows for mwomercs.com

If that is the case, why do the gift store "buy as gift" links work?

#156 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 May 2023 - 02:11 PM

I’ve been away from MWO for several years. Played a few games yesterday, and man I suck so bad it’s not even funny.

That said, this mech looks so fricking cool I’m gonna preorder it anyway, even though grinding an Assault mech in my current condition is going to feel like punishment.

#157 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,411 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 20 May 2023 - 08:43 PM

Hey NRP, a warm welcome back to MWO!

Not to worry, as it is right now, all you have to do is to do 500+ damage and 8+ Kill Assists (just do "1 or more" damage to eight (8) enemies that eventually dies), and you'll likely get a decent 250+ match score each game! Specifically, Killing Blows count for very little in your match score calculations. And dishing out damage from an Assault is not that hard, just proper positioning and not to get caught out alone by Light mechs!

Should you need further pointers, you can discuss in the General Discussion forum, or even contact me (w0qj) directly for some pointers!

By the way, nice Gold mech... let me guess, Gold Dire Wolf, right? Posted Image
<jealous...>

View PostNRP, on 20 May 2023 - 02:11 PM, said:

I’ve been away from MWO for several years. Played a few games yesterday, and man I suck so bad it’s not even funny.

That said, this mech looks so fricking cool I’m gonna preorder it anyway, even though grinding an Assault mech in my current condition is going to feel like punishment.

Edited by w0qj, 21 May 2023 - 12:10 AM.

#158 Roodkapje

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 577 posts

Posted 21 May 2023 - 05:41 AM

View Postw0qj, on 20 May 2023 - 08:43 PM, said:

By the way, nice Gold mech... let me guess, Gold Dire Wolf, right? Posted Image
<jealous...>

Where the heck do you see that ?! Posted ImagePosted Image

#159 Widowmaker1981

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 21 May 2023 - 05:46 AM

View PostC337Skymaster, on 20 May 2023 - 09:33 AM, said:

First: 7 crits and 7 tons for a TC7 (so worse than you thought). Second: that gives you a 10% range boost, not just 6%. Combined with skills, that's +25%. Third, that's already 59 kph without speed tweak. I only play TT legal engine ratings, so I'm not sure where the "meta" lies, but you're not going to fit too many extra heat sinks in where that TC is, so you're gonna be either raising the engine to use up the extra tonnage, or you might go 4x LPL and fill in the rest with ERML's, and balance out the engine to fit with that.

1) You do you, of course but, if you're only using TT appropriate engine sizes, you are nerfing the crap out of your build options, especially with 100 ton mechs as the 400 engines are almost never worth using due to being too heavy. (Its also worth noting that the reason TT has that restriction is because moving fractions of hexes doesnt make sense, and we dont have that problem in a real time game)

2) A TC1 is 1 slot, 1 ton for 4% range. Upgrading that to a TC7 is 6 more tons and 6 more slots for 6% range. You pay 1 ton for the first 4% range and then 1 ton per 1% thereafter (i think this is stupid implementation and it should be something like 2% range per level, but there we go)

3) Yeah, upping to 4 LPLs was exactly my point. In fact the first build i linked as a possible option for the mech is very similar to your 2nd version, but better (imo) because it has Endo steel and uses the tonnage to run an XL375 instead of a 340. You dont lose any DHS because the two extra slots in the engine make up for the 2 DHS you lose to ES crits (you do lose the TC1)

#160 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 21 May 2023 - 08:02 PM

View PostWidowmaker1981, on 19 May 2023 - 11:26 AM, said:

That first build on a Dire with -7.5% heat gen can be built right now but slower (obviously). You can't do the 0.5 second ghost heat split, you have to wait until the end of the burn unless you want to take overheat damage.

That said, it does a massive amount of damage if you can manage the heat and ride the LPLs when you are hot. I think on the SR the lack of heat quirk will cause issues.

The 6LPL build should be a monster but isn't a huge step up from other options that can do that?

Edited by Gas Guzzler, 21 May 2023 - 08:02 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users