159 replies to this topic

#81 killkimno

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 108 posts

Posted 17 September 2023 - 05:47 PM

small cockpit???
I heard it has the advantage of being 1 ton lighter and 1 less slot.

I heard in the rulebook that there are penalties for life and aiming.

is there any penalties in mwo?

and urbanmech iic appearance is the same as the urbanmech (s) model. nah....

https://static.mwome...fsfGDJlsTjmq80J
Is there any difference in appearance from the Inner Sphere UrbanMech?

Edited by killkimno, 17 September 2023 - 05:50 PM.

#82 C337Skymaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 17 September 2023 - 07:11 PM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 16 September 2023 - 12:56 PM, said:

To be honest, you can leave Forest Colony Classic out of the game--well, QP anyway. It can remain for private matches, or events but it's just too small for 12v12. It was too small for 8v8 back in the day, especially with the much longer ranges weapons have today.
A happy medium would be to add on to the map making it 1.5 times larger or so. Try to keep the map mostly the same but push OOB back all around and fill in.

I mean... that's literally what they did. Forest Colony and Forest Colony, Snow were replaced by the current Forest Colony, where they dramatically increased the size of the map, and added areas with significantly longer sightlines for long-range sniping. Then we all whined and complained that we missed the old map (this game is 100% funded by nostalgia, remember?) so they brought them back. Then everyone started complaining about them exactly the same as they did before they increased the size of it in the first place.

I'm not often on PGI's side, but I can definitely see how they feel like they "can't win" in some of these scenarios.

#83 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 17 September 2023 - 07:22 PM

I want to jump in before I have a chance to catch up on the other forum posts and reiterate questions that I'm sure have already been asked:

Small Cockpit on the Atlas, eh? I can see how all the upsides fit into MWO, but will any of the downsides factor in? Will this become equipment that can be purchased and retrofitted to other 'mechs, or will it remain unique to this specific Atlas?

Now that the artwork has been done for head lasers, is there any chance we'll see the Atlas S3 (the variant that was introduced by MW4 and later Canonized?)

I see Urbanmech IIC's are being added, but with size 100 engines. Will size 90 engines be added for those who wish to faithfully recreate the UM IIC and UM IIC-2? That is the correct size engine for that 'mech.

I, too, am disappointed by the map/mode changes. Particularly the removal of Frozen City Day. That's the one map in the game where visibility is actually, properly limited, and use of an alternate view mode is a real advantage. The alternate view modes don't have much point in most of MWO, so it was fun to have ONE map where they were actually helpful, and not simply forgotten. With the removal of time-of-day, thus the removal of 99% of night-fighting in MWO, night vision is equally as lost and forgotten as Heat Vision is, outside of that one map.

I'm probably the only person who's ticked off at the switch in bonus rewards for Champion 'mechs. I already have more CB than I know what to do with, and I know other players who have orders of magnitude more than I do. What I'm frequently lacking, however, is XP, and once my 'mechs are leveled up, it's actually advantageous for me to focus on my Champion 'mechs and build up an inventory of GXP, for later use whenever I decide to buy another 'mech.

As for the quirk changes... I just think that with each next quirk pass, every 'mech is becoming "Legendary", at which point, what's left to make those 'mechs stand out? -50% Energy (heat/cooldown/something) on one of the Bushwackers? 20% Ballistic Range on the Kodiak 2? These are huge numbers, the kind of "standout quirks" advertised as being exclusive to Legendary 'mechs. So if every 'mech is getting these kinds of crazy huge quirks, what's the point of buying a Legendary 'mech, again?

#84 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 17 September 2023 - 07:31 PM

View PostTiy0s, on 16 September 2023 - 04:41 PM, said:

That sounds defeatist! Rules are made to be broken!

There are rules, and there are physical laws. You can't break the laws of physics, and if the recoil on a gun will break off its mounting fixture, you're going to have a hard time beating that. (Yes, I know, PGI failed to include any meaningful recoil in the game in the first place, and honestly, that's one of its major failings).

#85 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 17 September 2023 - 07:43 PM

View PostHawok79, on 17 September 2023 - 12:09 AM, said:

An Adder with 16 MG`s?!

As they said: "very unfaithful recreation". That Adder has 21 weapon hardpoints in its actual stock config. MWO can only handle 16 weapons, total. So while the stock build comes with 16 MGs, it also comes with four MPL's and the CT fixed Flamer (and ECM, which I checked: doesn't count against the weapon total, even though it occupies a hardpoint).

Most likely, the 16 MG's will be reduced to 8 HMGs, as that will bring the hardpoint total within limits and maintain the build weight. We'll have to wait and see for sure, though. Even so: the MG boats are bad enough. Now we're gonna have one with ECM?

#86 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,228 posts

Posted 17 September 2023 - 08:55 PM

View Postkillkimno, on 17 September 2023 - 05:47 PM, said:

small cockpit???

Probably just a changed arrangement of Cockpit / Life Support slots.

#87 Curccu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,622 posts

Posted 17 September 2023 - 09:53 PM

View PostC337Skymaster, on 17 September 2023 - 07:31 PM, said:

There are rules, and there are physical laws. You can't break the laws of physics, and if the recoil on a gun will break off its mounting fixture, you're going to have a hard time beating that. (Yes, I know, PGI failed to include any meaningful recoil in the game in the first place, and honestly, that's one of its major failings).

Laws of physics doesn't have anything to do with BT lore, it's fiction all of it.

View PostC337Skymaster, on 17 September 2023 - 07:43 PM, said:

As they said: "very unfaithful recreation". That Adder has 21 weapon hardpoints in its actual stock config. MWO can only handle 16 weapons, total. So while the stock build comes with 16 MGs, it also comes with four MPL's and the CT fixed Flamer (and ECM, which I checked: doesn't count against the weapon total, even though it occupies a hardpoint).

Most likely, the 16 MG's will be reduced to 8 HMGs, as that will bring the hardpoint total within limits and maintain the build weight. We'll have to wait and see for sure, though. Even so: the MG boats are bad enough. Now we're gonna have one with ECM?

Just slap 100% MG ROF quirk and 8 ballistics slots total Posted Image.
Probably the best as LMG/laser mid range annoyance meta Incubus style... ECM suits that well.

#88 Voice of Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 491 posts

Posted 18 September 2023 - 12:11 AM

View PostDaeron Katz, on 17 September 2023 - 12:58 PM, said:

We've never promised either. We said we're investigating both, and we still are. That being said, it's a matter of having the resources available to make such a change (engineering and UI mainly), but even more importantly knowing that allotting hard-to-get resources on those tasks would make a noticeable improvement to matchmaker and the player experience, and what other knock-on effects those changes could create, like longer queue times.

Daeron, I don't want to seem like a brawler, but...

Roadmap 2021:
https://mwomercs.com...ne-2021-roadmap

Please note that this is the 4th quarter of 2021. Done? I don’t know, maybe something was done formally. Has it gotten better? Definitely no, it hasn’t gotten better. What needs to be done to make something better? Maybe keep working on the problem rather than hushing it up?

Roadmap 2022:
https://mwomercs.com/roadmap

The matchmaker investigation was announced for September 2022. Perhaps after a whole year of investigation, it’s time to draw some conclusions and take measures to improve?

Roadmap 2023:
https://mwomercs.com...3-plans-devlog/

Matt voices the dissatisfaction of the players with the matchmaker (including groups), says that PGI must improve the work of the matchmaker, promises to allocate resources for this work from February 2023 (I remind you that an investigation into the work of the matchmaker was already promised for September 2022). Moreover, he promises to keep the community up to date and inform players about decisions made. But from patch to patch you remain silent.

And, if starting from 2021 PGI recognize the existing problems of the matchmaker and announce an investigation of the matchmaker for two years ago, then I (and most likely many other players) perceive this not as empty promises of an investigation for the sake of investigation, but as a promise that after researching the problem, specific measures will be taken .

Let's sum it up. Empty promises have been going on for two years now, and matchmaker problems have been going on for even longer.

P.S. Also, I'm sure there have been promises of investigations of the groups in quick play in video blogs (possibly with Sean Lang). But searching in such sources is a much more labor-intensive process. And for the sake of a game that I play less and less, I cannot devote the necessary time to this process.

With all due respect to you personally, your Voice of Kerensky.

Edited by Voice of Kerensky, 18 September 2023 - 12:22 AM.

#89 Voice of Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 491 posts

Posted 18 September 2023 - 12:33 AM

Increasing the distance of X-pulse lasers is certainly good. Increasing their heat is not good. They're already hot.
My limited experience playing them tells me that they need a more significant damage increase. With the existing damage, I'm selling more of my armor than I'm taking the enemy's armor.

#90 The Chancelor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 177 posts

Posted 18 September 2023 - 12:54 AM

View PostVoice of Kerensky, on 18 September 2023 - 12:33 AM, said:

Increasing the distance of X-pulse lasers is certainly good. Increasing their heat is not good. They're already hot.
My limited experience playing them tells me that they need a more significant damage increase. With the existing damage, I'm selling more of my armor than I'm taking the enemy's armor.

Indeed. You have to stare at the enemy the whole time with less impact than racs. Why should I do this? Even now you get hot fast

#91 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 18 September 2023 - 01:01 AM

View PostCurccu, on 17 September 2023 - 09:53 PM, said:

Laws of physics doesn't have anything to do with BT lore, it's fiction all of it.

They have more input than you might think. There actually has been some thought to physics, and how to make everything in this universe fit within their laws, since this isn't supposedly "in an alternate reality" but "in OUR reality, 1000 years from now". They've gotta make it even just a tiny bit believable that this all exists within the reality we can see out the window, and feel with our hands, in which case it's gotta follow all known laws of the physical world.

#92 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,622 posts

Posted 18 September 2023 - 01:55 AM

View PostC337Skymaster, on 18 September 2023 - 01:01 AM, said:

They have more input than you might think. There actually has been some thought to physics, and how to make everything in this universe fit within their laws, since this isn't supposedly "in an alternate reality" but "in OUR reality, 1000 years from now". They've gotta make it even just a tiny bit believable that this all exists within the reality we can see out the window, and feel with our hands, in which case it's gotta follow all known laws of the physical world.

Our reality doesn't have 120 meter machineguns, 1000 meter LONG range missiles or 270 meter cannons.
If AC20 ammo flies only 540 meters and do nothing beyond that it has so slow velocity that it doesn't have almost any recoil even more so with gauss, gauss/coil tech itself is low recoil.
If gauss rifles would shoot rounds to 30-40k km then there would be recoil.

BT is one of the most unrealistic sci-fi stuff ever made.

#93 BloodyDziq

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 158 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 18 September 2023 - 04:30 AM

x-pulse:
damage increased by ~ 20%
heat increased by ~ 15%

Overall x-pulse 5% buff ... STILL GARBAGE!

#94 Kodan Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 375 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts, USA

Posted 18 September 2023 - 06:53 AM

I’m honestly not sure what role the x-pulse is intended to have from PGI. I know what the lore purpose was, but they seem like laser MGs in this implementation. Why not just make them same weight as pulse lasers, same damage, longer range, more heat… so longer range pulse at the expense of more heat like they were designed?

#95 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,228 posts

Posted 18 September 2023 - 06:59 AM

View PostKodan Black, on 18 September 2023 - 06:53 AM, said:

I’m honestly not sure what role the x-pulse is intended to have from PGI. I know what the lore purpose was, but they seem like laser MGs in this implementation. Why not just make them same weight as pulse lasers, same damage, longer range, more heat… so longer range pulse at the expense of more heat like they were designed?

BattleTech X-Pulse lasers do not have much in common with MWO X-Pulse lasers.

View PostThe Chancelor, on 18 September 2023 - 12:54 AM, said:

Indeed. You have to stare at the enemy the whole time with less impact than racs. Why should I do this? Even now you get hot fast

Maybe they will find some use on 'Mechs quirked for pulse lasers.

#96 Buenaventura

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 540 posts
  • LocationDuisburg, Germany

Posted 18 September 2023 - 10:08 AM

View PostHawk819, on 16 September 2023 - 06:33 PM, said:

Hey, now that we have the Legends for the Urban IIC. How about a Pack? Please.

They are in a pack, for $15.00. Although PGI added some more hardpoints for the poor clanners so they can stuff mroe of their weapons on them, canonically there are only these 2 that will now be available.

View PostHauptmann Keg Steiner, on 16 September 2023 - 10:09 PM, said:

No, apparently the solution is to just make a mech missing upper arm actuators and make it a prize for spending a bunch of money.

The loyality mechs in the past were added as a non (L) version to the ingame store several months after they were added.
I'm sure that will still be the case for these.

View PostMOPCKOE, on 17 September 2023 - 03:52 PM, said:

There was exactly one mech that benefited from them - stalker 4n, since it fired 4 at once without ghostly heat, now it is useless.

The STK-4N will still be able to fire 4xBLC without ghost heat.

View Postkillkimno, on 17 September 2023 - 05:47 PM, said:

small cockpit???

No penalties in MWO, at least for now.
And according to the tabletop rules, it wouldn't even have penalties for aiming, just for piloting - which is something that would be difficult to implement for MWO.

View PostC337Skymaster, on 17 September 2023 - 07:43 PM, said:

Eh, it's still an Adder. Posted Image

#97 Samziel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seraph
  • The Seraph
  • 520 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 18 September 2023 - 12:20 PM

View PostMOPCKOE, on 17 September 2023 - 03:52 PM, said:

In a recent update, clans were given imbalanced hags that deal 30-40 damage at 800m, while the IS has a joke called a heavy gauss that shoots a measly 25 at 200m once every half minute..

But IS got is a mocking copy of the heavy clan laser, the same damage and heating, only it is twice as heavy and consumes more slots than the clan version.
There was exactly one mech that benefited from them - stalker 4n, since it fired 4 at once without ghostly heat, now it is useless.

The nice card and mode was removed due to some idiotic vote. I'm tired of playing these LRM fields, this stupid new frozen city with NOTHING in the middle of the map for ppk trash and lrm. I just overheat the Polar Highlands and Alpin Peaks straight away, these are garbage maps. Why did they remove the classic normal day Frozen City?
The results of this vote absolutely corresponded to the trash peak in the game itself: the same canyon or grim plexus - empty hills for lrm and spamming with distant slag.

As another slap in the face of the IS, they do nothing with these clown useless X-pulses, whose players on the field are simply ridiculous. Plus 0.000003 damage and 0.0000006 heat for x pulse, plus 0.000004 shot time for hag.

The incursion added variety; there was just a wow effect from the destruction of the walls. Why do the developers reduce the game to spamming long shots on a flat, empty field?

HAG30 and 40 are kinda bad at max range. Blazers are great and Stalker 4N can still shoot 4 (it was able to shoot 5 without GH but wasn't really feasible anyway).

Edited by Samziel, 18 September 2023 - 12:41 PM.

#98 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 3,183 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 18 September 2023 - 01:38 PM

I'll be honest for those of you complaining about HAG changes, Blame the complainers who couldn't learn to not stand in front of a clan mech with a HAG and other terrible pilots who want HAG OP after standing right infront of a fual hag blood asp or dire or Gausszilla or other clan heavy or assault with more than one ballstic slot.

Honestly even at present i've been killed more by x-pulse and binary lasers than HAGs at this point... so maybe it 's a skill issue?

View PostSamziel, on 18 September 2023 - 12:20 PM, said:

HAG30 and 40 are kinda bad at max range. Blazers are great and Stalker 4N can still shoot 4 (it was able to shoot 5 without GH but wasn't really feasible anyway).
Well they're not suppose to be sniper weapons they're kinda mid range LBX to be honest.... and that was fine with me something for Clan to deal with tthe IS Single shot ac 20 and racs..

Edited by KursedVixen, 18 September 2023 - 01:41 PM.

#99 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 18 September 2023 - 01:47 PM

View Postmartian, on 18 September 2023 - 06:59 AM, said:

BattleTech X-Pulse lasers do not have much in common with MWO X-Pulse lasers.

That's his point. They don't, currently, and as such, aren't meeting with much enthusiasm. Perhaps they would meet with more enthusiasm if they had more in common.

#100 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 18 September 2023 - 01:50 PM

View PostCurccu, on 18 September 2023 - 01:55 AM, said:

gauss/coil tech itself is low recoil.

For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. Accelerating a slug is gonna push back on the barrel, regardless of the method of acceleration.

As to the amount, you're probably right, although it feels better when there's lots of recoil, since these are supposed to be giant robots, slugging it out, not pebble shooters.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users