Mechwarrior Online 2021: Mechs

2021 mechs

682 replies to this topic

#101 GentleMouse

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 09:10 PM

So I'm probably in the minority here, but I'd to see mechs with limited tonnage/hardpoints quirked to aggressively accentuate a particular weapon system. I'd love to see an AC 20 jammed onto a 40 tonne medium with like a 35% reload time reduction.

#102 Dregian Bloodwrath

• PipPip
  • The Tyrant
  • The Tyrant
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 10:53 PM

anubis
Templar
Sunder
longbow
and a must add mech is this one
the hellhound (Conjurer)- the mw4 merceneries model-Posted Image

Edited by Dregian Bloodwrath, 19 November 2020 - 11:47 PM.

#103 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,771 posts

Posted 19 November 2020 - 10:56 PM

View PostGentleMouse, on 19 November 2020 - 09:10 PM, said:

So I'm probably in the minority here, but I'd to see mechs with limited tonnage/hardpoints quirked to aggressively accentuate a particular weapon system. I'd love to see an AC 20 jammed onto a 40 tonne medium with like a 35% reload time reduction.

hollander?

#104 chromanim

• Pip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 01:14 AM

What i would most love to see, and what would make a lot of the "bunny ears" mech playable are separate hitboxes for miscelaneous hardpoints like they had in MW4.
For example: the Timber Wolf had the missile pods as separate parts with their own hitboxes.

It would make the Timber wolf & MadCat II playable with their big missile pods, and could actually make the Blood Asp a bit more fun to play.

Just a sugestion, and i know it would be difficult to implement, but i would like it to float around at least.

#105 Dregian Bloodwrath

• PipPip
  • The Tyrant
  • The Tyrant
  • 44 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 01:29 AM

View Postchromanim, on 20 November 2020 - 01:14 AM, said:

What i would most love to see, and what would make a lot of the "bunny ears" mech playable are separate hitboxes for miscelaneous hardpoints like they had in MW4.
For example: the Timber Wolf had the missile pods as separate parts with their own hitboxes.

It would make the Timber wolf & MadCat II playable with their big missile pods, and could actually make the Blood Asp a bit more fun to play.

Just a sugestion, and i know it would be difficult to implement, but i would like it to float around at least.

Thats actually not a bad idea i agree if possible it should be added

#106 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,771 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 04:55 AM

View PostDregian Bloodwrath, on 20 November 2020 - 01:29 AM, said:

Thats actually not a bad idea i agree if possible it should be added

would be interesting if certain boxes were tied directly to hardpoints. so you can still rack the timbies but without destroying the torso.

#107 Kodan Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 375 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts, USA

Posted 20 November 2020 - 11:09 AM

Locust IIC would be great. I'd be happy with new lights and meds of either Clan or IS tech.

#108 Tamerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 366 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 05:59 PM

New Community-Drive 'Mech / New 'Mech Variants - New 'Mechs are less important than other issues, unless it's for monetization. I'll discuss that aspect in the dedicated monetization thread.

However, if PGI does decide to make new mechs I recommend starting by matching what Catalyst issued with their recent Kickstarter. They have 12 Clan, 8 ComStar and 5 IS 'Mechs that are not in MWO.

Rescale 'Mechs - This was also in "Features", so I will copy my comments from there to here.

I love how 'Mechs are scaled to their tonnage - some are wider but shorter, some are tall and skinny. Every 'Mech of the same tonnage has the same volume.

At least in theory. There seems to be a lot of odd scaling choices. The 35t Firestarter looks at least three-times the size of the 20t Locust. There are many other examples. The only scaling change I'd like to see is an audit to confirm the current scales are correct.

Fix Mech Mobility (Desync) - Many people seem to forget the original reason for Desync - Clan 'Mechs had too much of an advantage. Their weapons and equipment weighs less than IS, so (non-OmniMech) Clan 'Mechs can fit larger engines that provide greater mobility advantage.

If we want to associate mobility with engine size (which kind of makes sense) give STD engines more mobility than same rated LFE and XL engines. STDs have the greatest mobility while LFEs have 80% of STD mobility and XLs have 60% of STD mobility.

Update Bolt-Ons - I don't use bolt-ons, so I don't care at all. If this is cheap and does not disguise 'Mech hit boxes, go for it.

Quirks / Set of 8's for Under Performers - I'm not a fan of well-thought-but-in-the-end-arbitrary quirks. I prefer it when there are set rules, just like how BattleTech (and MWO) has rules for configuring 'Mechs.

For example, in MWO weapon hard points that are higher on the 'Mech have an advantage. So perhaps the lower a hard point is, the higher its quirks could be. Other variables could be number of hard points, mix of hard points (energy, ballistic or missile) and things like that.

Bottom line - develop a formula to apply quirks rather than the opinion of players or PGI.

Armor Balance for Arm Weapon-Only 'Mechs - This is hard, but I understand the request. You could give them damage reduction (like closed missile bay doors) but then everyone will want something like that on their favorite 'Mechs.

So long as MWO maintains a hit-what-you-aim-at system, I don't have any suggestions.

Weapon Balance Pass - I was going to put these in "New Features", but this thread is good enough.

Minimum Range Penalties - LRMs, Rocket Launchers, PPCs and ATMs have minimum range penalties. In BattleTech Table Top other weapons also have minimum ranges: AC/2s, AC/5s, Gauss Rifles. These should also have reduced damage when used close range.

IS Omnimechs / Engine Discussion - don't care

Other
Cockpit shake - if a weapon adds impulse (shake) to a target, it should add impulse to the firing 'Mech ( like how firing 2 Heavy Gauss does). The "Improved Gyro" Skill Tree node could reduce this.

Speed should depend on equipped tonnage. If I only put 50t of equipment on my Atlas, it should move faster than a 100t Atlas with the same engine.
Reduce each 'Mech chassis engine options to 3-4 ratings. This will help differentiate 'Mechs of similar tonnage.

Have all 'Mechs been updated with the Civil War weapon art?

#109 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,246 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 20 November 2020 - 07:22 PM

Kingfisher
Turkina
Sunder
Other IS Omnis

For the whole IS XL Omni thing I’ll reiterate what I used to say back in the day.... if you know the Mech is locked into a specific type of engine, then it is easier to balance around it because there is one less variable. So an Assault mech that has a large XL engine should have buffed mobility and buffed side torso durability to give it a bit more staying power. We can do it!

#110 OldTeef

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 07:23 PM

4 armed mech.....

#111 Forgeling

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 53 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 08:36 PM

If a quirk pass were to be done I think several omnimechs could benefit from pod specific quirks as well as set quirks since a lot of pods simply don't get used at all.

#112 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,771 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 09:38 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 20 November 2020 - 07:22 PM, said:

Kingfisher
Turkina
Sunder
Other IS Omnis

For the whole IS XL Omni thing I’ll reiterate what I used to say back in the day.... if you know the Mech is locked into a specific type of engine, then it is easier to balance around it because there is one less variable. So an Assault mech that has a large XL engine should have buffed mobility and buffed side torso durability to give it a bit more staying power. We can do it!

this.

another idea i had was to move 2 of the st crits to the ct on some (not all) mechs. you couldn't have any ct hardpoints, the engine might be easier to crit through the ct and st loss penalties would also be more severe than lfe.

Edited by LordNothing, 20 November 2020 - 09:46 PM.

#113 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 10:28 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 20 November 2020 - 09:38 PM, said:

this.

another idea i had was to move 2 of the st crits to the ct on some (not all) mechs. you couldn't have any ct hardpoints, the engine might be easier to crit through the ct and st loss penalties would also be more severe than lfe.

Why? Why make this more complicated than it has to be? XL causing insta-ded on an ST loss is only an issue if the 'Mech isn't offering some advantage to offset that drawback. Since you know the 'Mech will have an XL, make it hyper deadly for the time it has while being alive. Done, no exceptions to the mechanics necessary.

#114 Appuagab

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 319 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 02:27 AM

View PostDaeron Katz, on 16 November 2020 - 01:05 PM, said:

Quirks / Set of 8's for Under Performers

Just get rid of sets of 8 bonuses and give good quirks to bad omnipods. These robots are called OMNImechs for a reason. Don't try to trick players into using particular sets, just make all omnipods equally valuable. If you want to reward players for using "lore-friendly" stock configs then just give omnipods quirks that work best with stock config. Having a set bonus only makes things more confusing.

View PostDaeron Katz, on 16 November 2020 - 01:05 PM, said:

IS Omnimechs

I'd like to have IS omnis but there's decent bunch of non-light mechs with XL engine which is a huge problem. Especially when everyone would know that mech is using XL so shooting ST is not a gamble anymore.
Also, IS Omni would be a good choice for "community-curated" mech because there isn't a whole lot of them in the lore.

View PostMiss Greene, on 20 November 2020 - 10:28 PM, said:

XL causing insta-ded on an ST loss is only an issue if the 'Mech isn't offering some advantage to offset that drawback.

There was an advantage in the form of extra mobility provided by higher engine rating before decoupling. Having XL omnifatties turn/accel/decel very fast compared to non-omnies of same tonnage and engine rating would help to offset XL vulnerability.

Edited by Appuagab, 21 November 2020 - 02:35 AM.

#115 Alreech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 03:36 AM

View PostMiss Greene, on 20 November 2020 - 10:28 PM, said:

Why? Why make this more complicated than it has to be? XL causing insta-ded on an ST loss is only an issue if the 'Mech isn't offering some advantage to offset that drawback. Since you know the 'Mech will have an XL, make it hyper deadly for the time it has while being alive. Done, no exceptions to the mechanics necessary.

How about massive weapon cooldown, weapon heat, structure & armor quirks for the IS Omnis that can further buffed with skill nodes?

Some Omnis like the Sunder and Avatar could be used as fast firing LRM platform hiding behind cover while tearing the enemy appart.

#116 Disagreeable Unconstructiveness

Rookie

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 8 posts
  • LocationAncona, ITALY

Posted 21 November 2020 - 05:48 AM

I think you first have to fix some nice IS mechs that die like insects on a windshield. Huge hit boxes on the Fafnir for example make them almost useless unless with ecm and gauss snipering. And mode down some damned Clan light over weaponized like the damned pirana. Die clan scum, die!

#117 Brauer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 06:36 AM

View PostDisagreeable Unconstructiveness, on 21 November 2020 - 05:48 AM, said:

I think you first have to fix some nice IS mechs that die like insects on a windshield. Huge hit boxes on the Fafnir for example make them almost useless unless with ecm and gauss snipering. And mode down some damned Clan light over weaponized like the damned pirana. Die clan scum, die!

The original design basically dictates horrid hitboxes. I don't see how PGI fixes that without completely tossing out the fafnir's original design, which will upset a lot of people. Try an Annihilator.

#118 evil kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 143 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 07:10 AM

View PostGentleMouse, on 19 November 2020 - 09:10 PM, said:

i agree with this in the broadest way possible. i want to see underperformers have rediculous weapons quirks. bring back the super energy quirk on that 1 locust. it had something like 25% cooldown on energy weapons. that was fun and gave you a reason to buy mechs that werent "meta". some possibilities off the top of my head: 20%ac cooldown on hunchbacks, 15% lpl cooldown on wolverines, 10%ml cooldown on pheonix hawk. just fun stuff on all the mechs that no ones too scared of. rule of thumb for choosing what to superquirk, if everyone whos been playing for a long time knows how to instantly gimp a build by focusing 1 component, the geo is completely horrendous, or both arms being taken off nullifies the mech, superquirk it.

key point, im not saying to do this to actually "good" mechs, just the ones that are outdated. dont super quirk the mad2c-b for example

#119 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 07:51 AM

View PostAppuagab, on 21 November 2020 - 02:27 AM, said:

There was an advantage in the form of extra mobility provided by higher engine rating before decoupling. Having XL omnifatties turn/accel/decel very fast compared to non-omnies of same tonnage and engine rating would help to offset XL vulnerability.

That was never a sufficient advantage in and of itself. You needed a large engine relative to mass, which wasn't available on every 'Mech, and even then those big-engine 'Mechs still got mega quirks to put them in a good place.

Edited by Miss Greene, 21 November 2020 - 07:51 AM.

#120 Brennard Chambrin

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 09:01 AM

Has anyone considered the possibility of "Mech Refits"?

Take an old chassis that you own, with like 2 hardpoints, then give it a more modern refit?

The kits could cost cash or MC or whatever, and on special occasion it could be a reward or a C-Bill sale, but it would essentially allow you to refit a single outdated chassis (which you already own) to be more competitive that the old "bone stock".

Think of it as, I buy a 67 corvette.. new engine, new tranny, new suspension... old chassis, new hotness..

I buy an old Spider... I buy a refit kit.... new engine, new hardpoints.. old chassis, new hotness..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users